Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking in 4-Dimensional Heterotic String
The evolution of a 4-dimensional heterotic string is considered in the background of its massless excitations such as graviton, antisymmetric tensor, gauge fields and scalar bosons. The compactifled bosonic coordinates are ferrnionized. The world-sheet supersymmetry requirement enforces Thirring-like four fermion coupling to the background scalar fields. The non-abelian gauge symmetry is exhibited through the Ward identities of the S-matrix elements. The spontaneous symmetry breaking mechanism is exhibited through the broken Ward identities. An effective 4-dimensional action is constructed and the consequence of spontaneous symmetry breaking is envisaged for the effective action.
KeywordsGauge Field Ward Identity Heterotic String Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking Scalar Boson
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M.B. Green, J.H. Schwarz and E. Witten, Superstring Theory, Vol I and II, Cambridge University Press 1986.Google Scholar
- [4a]K.S. Narain, M. Sarmadi and E. Witten, Nucl. Phys., B279, (1987).Google Scholar
- J.H. Schwarz, CHENCTProc. Int. National Conference on Superstrings, Cosmology and Composite Structure, Maryland, 1987, Ed. J. Gates and R.N. Mohapatra, World Scientific Pub. (1988).Google Scholar
- S. Ferrara, C. Kounnas and M. Porrati, to be published.Google Scholar
- A. Das, J. Maharana and S. Roy, preprint, Fermilab-Pub-89/65-T/UR1106 ER13065–573, Phys. Rev. D (to be published).Google Scholar
- [19a]J. Maharana, Nucl. Phys. 278B, 289 (1986)Google Scholar