Wake Field Acceleration
We are investigating the possibility of accelerating particles with high gradients in a “Wake Field Transformer”1,2. The progress of this experiment will be described. The developement of the high current hollow beam electron gun was continued. In the conventional linac, the hollow beam was accelerated to about 6 MeV. Beam monitors came into operation, two gap monitors, two fluorescent monitors and a Cerenkov monitor. Calculations with the computer code WAKTRACK3 gave the final details for the high energy section of the accelerator that will be installed during 1986.
KeywordsStreak Camera Solenoid Coil Bunch Length Hollow Beam Ring Beam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.A. Vos and Th. Weiland, Particle acceleration by wake fields, DESY M-82–10 (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.G.A. Voss and Th. Weiland, Wake Field Acceleration Mechanism, Proceedings of the ECFA Conference “The Challenge of Ultra High Energies”, Oxford, September 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.Th. Weiland and F. Willeke, “Particle Tracking with Collective Effects in Wake Field Accelerators”, Proceedings of the 12th Intern. Conf. on High Energy Accelerators, Chicago, 1983, pp. 457–459 and following improved versions by Gary Rodens (Los Alamos) and Kaoru Yokova (on leave from KEK).Google Scholar
- 4.SLC-design report, SLAC report 229 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.Proceedings of the Workshop on Laser Acceleration of Particles, AIP Conf. Proc. No. 91 (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.“The Challenge of Ultra-High Energies”, Proceedings of the ECFA-RAL Workshop, Oxford, September 1982, ECFA 83/68 (1983).Google Scholar
- 8.“The Generation of High Fields for Particle Acceleration to Very High Energies”, Proceedings of the CAS-ECFA-INFN Workshop, Frascati, September 1984, ECFA 85/91 CERN 85–07 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.W.Bialowons, H.Dehne, A.Febel, M.Leneke, H.Musfeldt, J.Rossbach, R.Rossmanith, G.A.Voss, Th.Weiland and F.Willeke, “A Wake Fiels Transformer Experiment”, Proceedings of the 12th Intern. Conf. on High Energy Accelerators, Chicago, 1983.Google Scholar
- 11.J.C. Sheppard et al., “Real Time Bunch Length Measurements in the SLC Linac”, SLAC-PUB-3584 (1985).Google Scholar
- 12.Th. Weiland, On the numerical solution of Maxwell’s equations and applications in the field of accelerator physics, Particle Accelerators 15:245 (1984), and references therein.Google Scholar