X-Ray Analysis of Enzymically Purified Elastin from Bovine Ligamentum Nuchae
Insoluble elastin has been isolated from bovine 1igamentum nuchae by treatment with guanidine and dithiothreitol followed by digestion with collagenase, purified by affinity chromatography. The preparation was subjected to both wide- and low-angle X-ray analysis. The wide-angle diffraction patterns of relaxed and stretched specimens showed only two broad diffraction rings, corresponding to spacings of 4.5 and 9.3 Å. No significant reflections were visible in the low-angle diffraction pattern of unstretched specimens, but on stretching an equatorial reflection was produced, corresponding to spacings of between 45 and 50 Å.
KeywordsPolypeptide Fibril Collagenase Guanidine Dithiothreitol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Gotte, L., Meneghelli, V., and Castellani, A. (1965) in Structure and Function of Connective and Skeletal Tissue (Fitton Jackson, S., Partridge, S.M., Harkness, R.D. and Tristram, G.R., eds), pp. 93–101, Butterworths, London.Google Scholar
- 8.Serafini-Fracassini, A. and Tristram, G.R. (1966) Proc. R. Soc. Edin. 69B, 334–344.Google Scholar
- 13.Gotte, L., Mammi, M. and Pezzin, G. (1968) Symposium on Fibrous Proteins, pp. 236–245, (Crewther, W.G., ed), Butterworths, London.Google Scholar
- 14.Fraser, R.D.B., and MacRae, T.P. (1973) Conformation in Fibrous Proteins and Related Synthetic Polypeptides, p. 471, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 15.Partridge, S.M. (1968) in Symposium on Fibrous Proteins (Crewther, W.G., ed), pp. 246–264, Butterworths, London.Google Scholar
- 17.Ayer, P.A. (1964) in International Review of Connective Tissue Research (Hall, D.A. ed), Vol. 2, pp. 45–53, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar