Studies on the Major Fucosylated Glycoprotein Released into the Medium by Cultured Human Skin Fibroblasts
Electrophoretic analyses of the proteins synthesized by cultured human skin fibroblasts demonstrated that the major component released into the medium is a high molecular weight fucosylated glycoprotein (MFGP). Gel filtration chromatography under denaturing and reducing conditions indicated that MFGP has a molecular weight of approx. 250,000; but appears to behave as a disulphide-linked dimer when unreduced. MFGP is further distinguished as the major labelled macromolecule in the medium after incubation of fibroblasts with [35s]cysteine. The role of this glycoprotein is unknown but it bears a striking resemblance to a presumptive structural glycoprotein recently shown to be secreted by arterial smooth muscle cells in culture, and may also be related to a group of much studied cell surface glycoproteins.
KeywordsSkin Fibroblast Human Skin Fibroblast Arterial Smooth Muscle Cell Agarose Column Smooth Muscle Cell Culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, J.C. (1976) Int. Rev. Connect. Tissue Res. 7, 251–322.Google Scholar
- 5.Sear, C.H.J., Grant, Μ.E., Anderson, J.C. and Jackson, D.S. (1975) Biochem. Soc. Trans. 3, 138–140.Google Scholar
- 6.Gorham, L.W. and Waymouth, C. (1965) Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 119, 287–290.Google Scholar
- 9.Harwood, R., Bhalla, A.K., Grant, M.E. and Jackson, D.S. (1974) Biochem. J. 148, 129–138.Google Scholar
- 11.Sear, C.H.J., Grant, M.E. and Jackson, D.S. (1976) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 71, 379–384.Google Scholar
- 12.Weber, K. and Osborn, M. (1975) in The Proteins (H. Neurath and R.L. Hill, eds), vol. I, pp. 179–223, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 13.Harwood, R., Merry, A.H., Woolley, D.E., Grant, M.E. and Jackson, D.S. (1976) Biochem. J. submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- 14.Vaheri, Α., Ruoslahti, E., Linder, Ε., Wartiovaara, J., Keski-oja, J., Kuusela, P. and Saksela, O. (1976) J. Supramol. Struct. 4, 63–70.Google Scholar
- 15.Hynes, R.O. (1976) Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 458, 73–107.Google Scholar