Appetites, Aversions, and Addictions: A Model for Visceral Memory
Penetrating X-rays constitute a unique and pervasive form of stimulation delivering energy to all tissues, producing highly reactive radicals and ions throughout the organism. However, the responses elicited are quite specific depending upon the site of energy absorption, in accord with the specific-energies doctrine classically promulgated by Müller and Helmholtz. This specificity is apparent not only in simple reflexlike responses, but also in association learning; thus, research with this novel form of energy has produced data which bear directly upon some critical issues in biological psychiatry.
KeywordsSalty Water Avoidance Reaction Tiger Salamander Temporal Contiguity Peripheral Pain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Barnett, S.A.: The Rat: A Study in Behavior, Aldine Press, Chicago, 1963.Google Scholar
- 4.Garcia, J., Ervin, F.R., and Koelling, R. A.: Learning with prolonged delayed of reinforcement, Psychon. Sci. 5:121, 1966.Google Scholar
- 5.Garcia, J., Ervin, F.R., and Koelling, R.A.: Bait-shyness: A test for toxicity with N=2, Psychon. Sci. 7:245, 1967.Google Scholar
- 6.Dietz, M.N., and Capretta, P.J.: Modification of sugar-saecharin preferences in rats as a function of electric shock to the mouth, Proc. Am. Psychol. Assoc., New York, Sept. 1–5, 1966.Google Scholar
- 7.Martin, W.R., and Eades, C.G.: A comparison between acute and chronic physical dependence in the chronic spinal dog, J. Pharmacol. Exptl. Therap. 146:385, 1964.Google Scholar
- 9.Smith, J.C., and Morris, D.D.: The effects of atropine sulphate and physostigmine on the conditioned aversion to saccharin solution with X-rays as the unconditioned stimulus, in: Haley, T.J., and Snider, R.S. (eds.), Response of the Nervous System to Ionizing Radiation, Little, Brown and Co., Boston, 1964.Google Scholar
- 10.Garcia, J., and Koelling, R. A.: Relation of cueto consequence in avoidance learning, Psychon. Sci. 4:123, 1966.Google Scholar
- 14.Nichols, J. R., Headlee, C. P., and Coppock, H. W.: Drug addiction I: Addiction by escape training, J. Am. Pharm. Assoc. 45:788, 1956.Google Scholar
- 15.Nichols, J.R., and Davis, W.M.: Drug addiction II: Variation of addiction, J. Am. Pharm. Assoc. 48:259, 1959.Google Scholar
- 18.Herrick, C.J.: The brain of the tiger salamander: Ambystoma tigrinum, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1948.Google Scholar