Gut and Bronchus Associated Lymphoid Tissue: An Overview
Just over 300 years ago, Peyer (1) described structures present in the wall of the ileum before the ileo-cecal junction. Because, when these were pressed, it appeared that fluid was coming from them. He thought that they were glands which had something to do with the digestive process. It has been known for 100 years or more that Peyer’s patches were in reality a collection of lymphoid aggregates and that these were found, some in constant positions, in the gastrointestinal tract from the jejunum distally, including one or two in the colon. In 1875, Klein (2) described lymphoid tissue within the wall of the bronchus in a number of species including man. On the basis of their morphology, he concluded that they were analogous in function to the Peyer’s patches and tonsils.
KeywordsLymphoid Tissue Lamina Propria Mesenteric Node Thoracic Duct Mucosal Tissue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.C. Peyer. Onophrius et Waldkirch (1677).Google Scholar
- 2.E. Klein, in: “The Anatom/ of the Lymphatic System. II. The Lung”, Smith, Elder and Co., London (1875).Google Scholar
- 5.P. Niewuwenhuis. M.D. thesis, University Groningen, Holland (1971).Google Scholar
- 8.R.W. Milne, J. Bienenstock, and D.Y.E. Perey. J. Retic. Soc. 17:361 (1975).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Bienenstock, N. Johnston, and D.Y.E. Perey. Lab. Invst. 28:693 (1973).Google Scholar
- 13.J. Bienenstock, R.L. Clancy, and D.Y.E. Perey, in: “Immunologic and Infectious Reactions in the Lung,” C.H. Kirkpatrick and H.Y. Reynolds, eds., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (1976).Google Scholar
- 14.R.V. Heatley, and J. Bienenstock, Submitted for publication, (1980).Google Scholar
- 17.G.G. MacPherson, and H.W. Steer, in: “Function and Structure of the Immune System,” W. Muller-Bucholtz and H.K. Muller-Hammerling, eds., Plenum Press, New York (1979).Google Scholar
- 34.D. Guy-Grand, and P. Vasalli, in: “Recent Advances in Mucosal Immunity,” W. Stroker and K.W. Sell, eds., Raven Press, New York (1981).Google Scholar
- 38.M.R. McDermott, A.D. Befus, and J. Bienenstock. Int. Rev. Exp. Pathol. (1980) in press.Google Scholar