Ontogeny of the Immune System in Fish — Role of the Thymus
Our present knowledge about the ontogeny of the immune systems in lower vertebrates is limited. The development of the thymus in fish has been described and the sequence of histogenesis in relation to the other lymphoid organs has also been investigated (Sailendri, 1973; Grace and Manning, 1980). However, virtually nothing is known about the ontogenetic appearance of immunoglobulin and iramuno-competence in fish, in contrast to the well-studied amphibians. Only the work of Ellis (1977) has given an indication of the time of appearance of surface immunoglobulin on lymphoid cells in salmon. Here the appearance of immunological maturity was coincidental with the onset of feeding and it was proposed that this may result from the larvae being subjected to a large antigenic challenge from the diet. In the present study the histogenesis of lymphoid organs and the appearance of surface- and cytoplasmic immunoglobulin (sIg and cIg respectively) of lymphoid cells was investigated in young carp, Cyprinus carpio L. Results on Ig-levels, functional tests (immunization) and tolerance induction during early development are to be published elsewhere.
KeywordsLymphoid Cell Lymphoid Organ Cytoplasmic Immunoglobulin Adult Carp Immunoglobulin Produce Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E. Egberts, J.J.M. van Groningen, and W.B. van Muiswinkel. Dev. Comp. Immunol., vol. 6, suppl. 1, (1981) in press.Google Scholar
- 3.A.E. Ellis, in: “Developmental Immunobiology”, p. 225, J.B. Solomon, and J.D. Horton, eds., Elsevier/North Holland, Amsterdam (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.M.F. Grace, J.W. Botham, and M.J. Manning, in: “Aspects of Developmental and Comparative Immunology-I”, p. 467, J.B. Solomon, ed., Pergamon Press, Oxford and New York (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.K. Sailendri. Ph.D. thesis, Madurai University, India (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.C.J. Secombes. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Hull, UK (1981).Google Scholar
- 13.J.J.A. van Loon, R. van Oosterom, and W.B. van Muiswinkel, in: “Aspects of Developmental and Comparative Immunology-I”, p. 469, J.B. Solomon, ed. Pergamon Press, Oxford and New York (1981).Google Scholar