C-Myc Proto-Oncogene Expression During Newt Limb Regeneration
Utilizing the method of in situ hybridization, myc-homologous RNA transcripts were detected in histological sections of the newt limb regenerate. A radiolabeled Xenopus myc-cDNA was used as probe. Autoradiographic grains representing myc-homologous RNAs were observed in cells of the thickened wound epidermis, irrespective of the layer examined. Further, mesenchymatous-like cells which form the blastema also contained multiple grains, indicating that these cells possess myc-like RNA molecules. The presence of RNAs, homologous to the myc proto-oncogene in cells of the regenerating newt limb indicate that a myc-related gene is expressed in these cells during the regenerative process and, therefore, may play an important regulatory role, as myc gene expression has been implicated in the control of cellular proliferation in other systems. Our results are discussed against the background of literature on c-myc proto-oncogene expression.
KeywordsLimb Regeneration Blastemal Cell Wound Epidermis Notophthalmus Viridescens Actively Cycling Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goldhamer, D.J. and Tassava, R.A., 1987, An analysis of proliferative activity in innervated and denervated forelimb regenerates of the newt, Notophthalmus viridescens. Development, 100:619–628.Google Scholar
- Hourdry, J., Brulfert, A., Gusse, M., Schoevaert, D., Taylor, M. and Mechali, M., Localization of c-myc expression during oogenesis and embryonic development in Xenopus laevis, Development (in press).Google Scholar
- Hourdry, J., Géraudie, J., Singer, M. and Mechali, M., 1988, Expression of the c-myc proto-oncogene in the forelimb regenerate of the newt Notophthalmus viridescens, visualized by in situ hybridization. in: “Regeneration and Development”, S. Inoue, ed., Okada Printing and Publishing Company, Maebashi, Japan.Google Scholar
- Kaczmarek, L., 1986, Proto-oncogene expression during the cell cycle, Lab. Invest., 543:365–376.Google Scholar
- Lombard-Des Gouttes, M.N., 1988, Rat liver regeneration and plasma factors: an overview of some early events in the compensatory growth process. in: “Regeneration and Development”, S. Inoue Ed., Okada Printing and Publishing Company, Maebashi, Japan.Google Scholar
- Maden, M., 1978, Neurotrophic control of the cell cycle during amphibian limb regeneration, J. Embryo1. Exp. Morph., 48:169–175.Google Scholar
- Muller, R., 1986, Proto-oncogenes and differentiation, TIBS, 11:129–132.Google Scholar
- Petavy, G., 1985, Reliable preparative procedures for the cytological study of yolk-laden insect eggs and embryos, Stain Tech., 60:321–330.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, A.J., 1968, “Cellular biology of vertebrate regeneration and repair”, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago and London.Google Scholar
- Sicard, R.E., 1985, “Regulation of vertebrate limb regeneration”, R.E. Sicard, ed., Oxford University Press, New York, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Singer, M., 1978, On the nature of the neurotrophic phenomenon in urodele limb regeneration, Am. Zool., 18:829–841.Google Scholar
- Wallace, H., 1981, “Vertebrate limb regeneration”, John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar