Light Quark Loops
An important subset of virtual electroweak corrections is due to closed fermion loops. In particular the correction to the photon self energy due to the known fermions is rather large and equivalent to a change of the QED fine structure constant α from its low energy value to the LEP energy scale by about 6%. It can be calculated exactly in the case of leptons.
KeywordsLight Quark Vacuum Polarization Lepton Pair Production Bhabha Scattering Hadronic Vacuum Polarization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Burkhardt, F. Jegerlehner, G. Penso, C. Verzegnassi in Polarization at LEP, G. Alexander et al. Ed., CERN 88–06 Vol I, 145–157, subm. to Z.Phys.CGoogle Scholar
- W.F.L. Hollik DESY 88–188 and M. Böhm, W. Hollik, H. Spiesberger, Fortschr. Phys. 34 (1986) 687Google Scholar
- Review of Particle Properties, Phys.Lett.B204(1988)Google Scholar
- R.Baldini, private communication, W. Lockman, private communicationGoogle Scholar
- H. Burkhardt, TASSO Note 192 (1981) and DESY F35–82–03 (1982)Google Scholar
- S.Jadach and B.F.L. Ward, unpublishedGoogle Scholar