Range-Dependent Bottom-Limited Propagation Modelling with the Parabolic Equation
It is demonstrated that mode-coupling effects are included in the parabolic equation method. Propagation over sloping bottoms is then studied demonstrating various mode-cutoff and modecoupling phenomena. Finally, propagation over a seamount is considered, which includes not only up- and down-slope propagation but also diffraction over the top of the seamount. Some of the theoretical results are compared with experimental data.
KeywordsAcoustical Society Mode Coupling Mode Number Sound Propagation Grazing Angle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Ewing, J. L. Worzel and C. L. Pekeris, Propagation of sound in the ocean, GSA Memoir 27, Geological Society of America, New York, N.Y. (1948).Google Scholar
- 2.I. Tolstoy and C. S. Clay, “Ocean Acoustics”, McGraw-Hill, New York, N.Y. (1966).Google Scholar
- 5.F. Ingenito, R. H. Ferris, W. A. Kuperman and S. N. Wolf, Shallow water acoustics: summary report, NRL Report 8179, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C. (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.A. O. Williams, Normal-mode methods in propagation of underwater sound, in: “Underwater Acoustics”, R. W. B. Stephens, ed., Wiley-Interscience, London, U.K. (1970), pp. 23–56.Google Scholar
- 14.F. B. Jensen and H. R. Krol, The use of the parabolic equation method in sound-propagation modelling, SACLANTCEN SM-72, SACLANT ASW Research Centre, La Spezia, Italy (1975).Google Scholar
- 16.W. A. Kuperman and F. B. Jensen, Sound propagation modelling, in: “Underwater Acoustics and Signal Processing”, L. Bjørnø, ed., Reidel Publishing Co, Dordrecht, The Netherlands (1980).Google Scholar
- 17.F. B. Jensen and W. A. Kuperman, Environmental acoustic modelling at SACLANTCEN, SACLANTCEN SR-34, SACLANT ASW Research Centre, La Spezia, Italy (1979). [AD A 081 853]Google Scholar
- 18.F. B. Jensen and M. C. Ferla, SNAP: the SACLANTCEN normal-mode acoustic propagation model, SACLANTCEN SM-121, SACLANT ASW Research Centre, La Spezia, Italy (1979). [AD A 067 256]Google Scholar
- 19.L. I. Schiff, “Quantum Mechanics”, McGraw-Hill, New York, N.Y. (1968): p.292.Google Scholar
- 20.A. B. Coppens and J. V. Sanders, Propagation of sound from a fluid wedge into a fast fluid bottom. (This volume).Google Scholar
- 22.H. Medwin and R. Spaulding, The seamount as a diffracting body. (This volume).Google Scholar
- 23.F. D. Tappert, Selected applications of the parabolic equation method in underwater acoustics, in: “Proceedings of International Workshop on Low-Frequency Propagation and Noise”, Maury Center for Ocean Sciences, Washington, D.C. (1977).Google Scholar