Comparative Behavioral and Urinary Studies on Schizophrenics and Normal Controls
In previous work (Tanimukai (et al., 1968, pp. 6–15; 1970), we had made behavioral and biochemical observations on four chronic schizophrenic patients before, during and after a chemical stress evoked by the administration of tranylcypromine (Parnate) and later adding L-cysteine to the tranylcypromine. We observed the excretion of N-dimethyltryptamine, bufotenin and 5-methoxy-N-dimethyltryptamine in 24-hour urinary samples. These potentially psychotogenic compounds appeared in the urine in increased concentrations approximately two weeks before behavioral exacerbations and receded only in association with the restoration of the clinical picture observed before the behavioral worsening. In Fig. 1 are presented the naturally occurring amines and their potentially psychotomimetic derivatives. These reactions are facilitated by the enzyme discovered by Axelrod (1961) chiefly in the rabbit lung and more recently by Morgan and Mandell (1969) in the human brain.
KeywordsSchizophrenic Patient Control Period Thought Content Chronic Schizophrenic Patient Physical Side Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- GROSS, H., & FRANZEN, F.R. Zur Bestimmung körpereigener Amine in biologischen Substraten. Biochemische Zeitschribt, 1964, 340, 403–412.Google Scholar
- HAWK, P. B., OSER, B. L., SUMMERSON, W. H. Creatinine — 1. Folin’s Method: Principle, (determination of creatinine by the Jaffe’s reaction). In Practical Physiological Chemistry. Philadelphia: Blakiston Co., 839–842, 1951.Google Scholar
- HELLER, B., NARASIMHACHARI, N., SPAIDE, J., HAšKOVEC, L., & HIMWICH, H. E. N-dimethylated indoleamines in blood of acute schizophrenics. Exptrientia, 1970, in press.Google Scholar
- NARASIMHACHARI, N., SPAIDE, J., & HELLER, B. The GLC separation of trimethylsily1 derivatives of N,N-dimethylindole(ethyl) amines. 1970, in preparation.Google Scholar
- ROSENGARTEN, H., SZEMIS, A., PIOTROWSKI, A., ROMASZEWSKA, K., MATSUMOTO, H., STENCKA, K., & JUS, A. The occurrence of N,N-dimethyltrypta-mine and bufotenine in schizophrenic patients without an MAO inhibitor and methionine loading. 1970, in preparation.Google Scholar
- TANIMUKAI, H., GINTHER, R., SPAIDE, J., BUENO, J. R., & HIMWICH, H. E. Detection of psychotomimetic N,N-dimethylated indoleamines in the urine of four schizophrenic patients. British Journal of Psychiatry, 1970, in press.Google Scholar
- TANIMUKAI, H., GINTHER, R., SPAIDE, J., BUENO, J. R., HIMWICH, H. E. Psychotogenic N,N-dimethylated indole amines and behavior in schizophrenic patients. In J. Wortis (Ed.), Recent Advances in Biological Psychiatiy, Volume X, New York: Plenum Press, 1968.Google Scholar