Mechanisms of Transformation by Protein-Tyrosine Kinases
In multicellular organisms there must be stringent control over the processes of cellular proliferation and differentiation. Thus sophisticated networks of regulatory molecules have evolved to sense and transmit signals within and between normal cells. From the study of growth factor receptors and the polypeptide products of particular oncogenes, it appears that protein tyrosine kinases, their substrates and phosphatase counterparts are essential components of some of these regulatory pathways.
KeywordsEpidermal Growth Factor Receptor Protein Tyrosine Kinase Rous Sarcoma Virus Epidermal Growth Factor Stimulation Protein Tyrosine Kinase Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Burwen, S.J. and Jones, A.L. (1987). The association of polypeptide hormones and growth factors with the nuclei of target cells. TIBS 12, 159–162.Google Scholar
- 4.Chan, L.C., Karhi, K.K., Rayter, S.I., Heisterkamp, N., Eridani, S., Powles, R., Lawler, S.D., Groffen, J., Foulkes, J.G., Greaves, M.F. and Wiedemann, L.M. (1987). A novel abl protein is expressed in Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lympho blastic leukemia which does not involve the BCR region. Nature (in press).Google Scholar
- 5.Frackelton, A.R., Ross, A.H. and Eisen H.N. (1983). Characterization and use of monoclonal antibodies for isolation of phosphotyrosyl proteins from retrovirus transformed cells and growth factor stimulated cells. Mol. Cell Biol. 8, 1343–1352.Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, K.-S., Wallner, B.P., Mattaliano, R.J., Tizard, R., Burne, C., Frey, A., Hession, C., McGray, P., Sinclair, L.K., Pingchang Chow, E., Browning, J.L., Ramachandran, K.L., Tang, J., Smart, J. and Pepinsky, R.B. (1986). Two human 35 kd inhibitors ofphospholipase A2 are related to substrates of pp60 v-src and of the EGF receptor kinase. Cell 46, 191–199.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Hunter, T. and Cooper, J.A. (1986). Protein tyrosine kinases. The Enzymes: (ed. Boyer, P.D. and Krebs, E.G.) (in press).Google Scholar
- 12.Massague, J. (1985). Tumour growth factors. TIBS 10, 237–240.Google Scholar