Tylenchina: An International Team Revision
This is an account of the work accomplished by an international team, how that team came about and how their philosophies blended. To a large extent it was born from my own misgivings about having revised Thorne’s 1949 classification of Tylenchida (Maggenti, 1982). This work was part of a larger revision of the classification of Nemata. Luc had occasion to review the section on Tylenchida and noted that genera were not listed for the families (a restriction of the publisher). Luc, Raski and I then discussed the possibility of doing an in-depth revision of Tylenchina. We were enthused and quickly expanded the input beyond ourselves to Fortuner and Geraert. Working with this team proved to be one of the most stimulating periods of my career. After five years, five taxonomists who started as acquaintances ended up as close friends and this will last us for our lifetimes; for this we are all grateful.
KeywordsNatural Unit Junior Synonym International Team Entire Team Soil Fumigant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrassy, I., 1976. Evolution as a basis for the systematization of nematodes. London, Pitman Publishing, 288 p.Google Scholar
- Fotedar, D.N. & Handoo, Z.A., 1978. A revised scheme of classification to order Tylenchida Thorne, 1949 (Nematoda). J. Sci. Univ. Kashmir, 3 (1975): 55–82.Google Scholar
- Luc, M., Maggenti, A.R., Fortuner, R., Raski, D.J. & Geraert, E., 1987. A reappraisal of Tylenchina (Nemata). 1. For a new approach to the taxonomy of Tylenchina. Revue Nématol., 10: 127–134.Google Scholar
- Maggenti, A.R., 1982. Nemata. In: Parker, S.P. (Ed.), Synopsis and classification of living organisms. Vol. I, New York, McGraw-Hill Book Co.: 879–929.Google Scholar
- Maggenti, A.R., Luc, M., Raski, D.J., Fortuner, R. & Geraert, E., 1987. A reappraisal of Tylenchina (Nemata). 2. Classification of the suborder Tylenchina (Nemata: Diplogasterida). Revue Nématol., 10: 135–142.Google Scholar
- Maggenti, A.R., Luc, M., Raski, D.J., Fortuner, R. & Geraert, E., 1988. A reappraisal of Tylenchina (Nemata). 11. List of generic and supra- generic taxa, with their junior synonyms. Revue Nématol., 11: 177–188.Google Scholar
- Paramonov, A.A., 1967. [A critical review of the suborder Tylenchina (Filip’ev, 1934) Nematoda: Secernentea)]. Akad. Nauk SSSR Gel’mint. Lah. Osnovy Nematod., 18: 78–101 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- Siddiqi, M.R., 1986. Tylenchida: parasites of plants and insects. Slough, United Kingdom, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, ix + 645 p.Google Scholar
- Thorne, G., 1949. On the classification of the Tylenchida, new order (Nematoda: Phasmidia). Proc. helminth. Soc. Wash., 16: 37–85.Google Scholar