Liposome Targeting to Tumor Cells in Vivo
Considerable effort has been mounted both in our own and other laboratories in order to enhance the ability of liposomes to deliver drugs to specific cells. This effort resulted in the development of methods for conjugation of antibodies on the liposome surface (Heath et al, 1980; Leserman et al, 1980; Huang et al, 1980), temperature-sensitive liposomes (Papahadjopoulos et al, 1973; Yatvin et al, 1978) which can be used in conjunction with hyperthermia (Weinstein et al, 1979) and pH-sensitive liposomes, either for localization of drugs in low pH areas (Yatvin et al, 1980) or for release of the liposome-encapsulated drugs following endocytosis (Dusgunes et al, 1985; Ellens et al, 1984; Connor et al, 1984).
KeywordsLiposome Formulation Small Unilamellar Vesicle Prolonged Circulation Time Liposome Stability Liposome Composition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davies, A.J.S. and Crumpton, M.J., eds. 1982, in: “Experimental Approaches to Drug Targeting”, Cancer Surveys 1(3):347.Google Scholar
- Davis, S.S. and Hum, L., 1986, Colloidal delivery systems: opportunities and challenges, in: “Site-Specific Drug Delivery”, E. Tomlinson and S.S. Davis, eds., J. Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- Gabizon, A., Shiota, R. and Papahadjopoulos, D., 1989, Pharmacokinetics and tissue distribution of doxorubicin encapsulated in stable liposomes with long circulation times, J.Nat.Cancer Inst., 81:1485.Google Scholar
- Gregoriadis, G. and Senior, J., 1986, Liposomes in vivo: a relationship between stability and clearance, to: “Targeting of Drugs with Synthetic Systems”, G. Gregoriadis, J. Senior and G. Poste, eds.. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Heaton, W.A., Davis, H.H., Welch, M.J., Mathias, C.J., Joist, H.H., Sherman, L.A. and Siegel, B.A., Br.J.Haematol., 42:613.Google Scholar
- Hiang, A., Huang, L. and Kennel, S.J., 1980, Monoclonal antibody covalently coupled to fatty acids: a reagent for in vitro liposome targeting, J.Biol.Chem., 255:8015.Google Scholar
- Mayhew, E. and Papahadjopoiüos, D., 1983, Therapeutic applications of liposomes, to: “Liposomes”, M.J. Ostro, ed.. Marcel Dekker, New York, Inc.Google Scholar
- Order, S., 1987, ed., in: “Labeled and Unlabeled Antibody in Cancer Diagnosis and Therapy”, NCI Monogr. 3.Google Scholar
- Poste, G., 1983, Liposome targeting in vivo: problems and opportunities, Biol.Cell, 47:19.Google Scholar
- Senior, J.H., 1987, Fate and behaviour of liposomes in vivo: a review of controlling factors, CRC Crit.Rev.Ther.Drug Carrier Systems, 3:123.Google Scholar