Endocytosis of Cell Surface Molecules and Intracellular Delivery of Materials Encapsulated in Targeted Liposomes
The principle benefits for pharmacologic purposes of liposomes include the possibility of transporting highly concentrated reagents entrapped in the liposomes’ aqueous spaces or lipid bilayer and their protection against enzymatic degradation. In addition, certain molecules which may have little or no capacity to enter into cells because of their size or charge may be delivered in biologically active form inside cells by virtue of their association with liposomes. This capacity is enhanced when liposomes are targeted to the cell surface by the use of specific ligands such as monoclonal antibodies, which may additionally offer the possibility to concentrate material at the cell surface and to target sub-populations in a heterogeneous mixture of cells (for reviews see Leserman and Machy, 1987; Ostro, 1987).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Leonetti, J-P., Machy, P., Degols, G., Lebleu, B. and Leserman, L.D., 1989, Antibody-targeted liposomes containing oligodeox5n:ibonucleotide sequences complementary to viral RNA selectively inhibit viral replication. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Leserman, L. and Machy, P., 1987, Ligand targeting of liposomes, in “Liposomes: from Biophysics to Therapeutics”, M.J. Ostro, ed.. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.Google Scholar
- Machy, P. and Leserman, L.D., 1987, “Applications of Liposomes in Cell Biology and Pharmacology”, Editions INSERM, Paris.Google Scholar
- Machy, P., Bizozzero, J-P., Reggio, H. and Leserman, L., 1989, Endocytosis, recycling and shedding of major histocompatibility complex-encoded class II molecules by murine B lymphocytes. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Milhaud, P.G., Machy, P., Lebleu, B. and Leserman, L., 1990, Antibody targeted liposomes containing poly (rl).poly (rC) exert a specific antiviral and toxic effect on cells primed with interferonsa/ß or y, Biochim.Biophys.Acta, in press.Google Scholar
- Ostro, M.J., ed., 1987, “Liposomes: from Biophysics to Therapeutics”, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York.Google Scholar