Passive Microwave Probing of Roughened Sea
Typical data obtained from experimental observations made in the laboratory and under natural conditions on microwave radiation characteristics of a roughened sea, are presented in this chapter. The influence of different constituents of a wind-driven sea—from capillary to gravity waves, from ripples to stormy rollers including patches of foam—on the characteristics of microwave radiation is analyzed. Original data of brightness temperature variations for different sea state conditions are given as an example. The relationship between characteristics of microwave radiation and wind speed is discussed.
KeywordsWind Speed Microwave Radiation Brightness Temperature Wind Force Foam Formation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armand, N. A., A. E. Basharinov, L. F. Borodin, E. N. Zotova, and A. M. Shutko (1980): Radiophysical methods in remote sensing of environment. Problems of Modern Radioengineering and Electronics, Nauka, Moscow, 95–138 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Au, B., J. Kenney, L. U. Martin, and D. Ross (1974): Multi-frequency radiometric measurements of foam and a mono-molecular slick. Proc. 9th Int. Symp. Remote Sensing of the Environment, Ann Arbor, 1974, 3, 1763.Google Scholar
- Eklund, F., J. Nilson, and A. Blomquist (1974): False alarm risks at radar detection of oil spill. Proceedings, URS I Commiss. II Specialist Meeting on Microwave Scattering and Emission from the Earth, Berne, 1974, 38–45.Google Scholar
- La Fond, E. C., and P. V. Bhavanarayana (1959): Foam on the sea. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. India 1, 228–232.Google Scholar
- Shutko, A. M. (1968): Experimental investigations of the characteristics of sea surface microwave radiation. Trans. Gener. Geophys. Observ. 222, 19–21 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Shutko, A. M. (1978a): Characteristics of background microwave radiation of sea surface. Theses Rep. at 12th All Union Conference on Radio Waves Prop., Nauka, Moscow, 2, 206–210 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Shutko, A. M. (1978b): Investigations of water areas by means of microwave radiometry. Radiotekh. Electron, 23, 2101–2119.Google Scholar
- Shutko, A. M., B. G. Kutuza, O. I. Yakovlev, A. I. Efimov, and Paveliev (1978):Radiophysical Investigations of Planets. Itogi Nauki Tekh. Radiotekh. 16, Moscow, VINITI, 1978 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Soviet-American Experiment “Bering” (1975): Proc. Final Symp. (K. Y. Kondratiev, Y. I. Rabinovich, and W. Nordberg, eds.), Hydrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1975.Google Scholar