HF Radar Measurements of Wave Spectral Development
Measurements are reported of ocean spectral wave growth rates parametric in wave frequency and azimuth using measurements of first-order Bragg lines of HF radar Doppler spectra. Preliminary analysis indicates that: (1) growth rates versus angle show the same narrow shape that the directional spectra did, between cosine 16th to 32nd about the wave direction; (2) magnitudes were slightly larger than those by Stewart and Teague (1980) and were in the range predicted by the wave-wave interaction contribution as reported in the JONSWAP results (Hasselmann et al, 1973); (3) the wave growth rate did not approach zero as the ratio of wind speed to phase velocity, U/c, approached 1, as did the atmospheric contribution measured by Snyder et al. (1981), implying a wave-wave interaction contribution; (4) a pronounced overshoot in time was observed for values of U/c greater than 1, with weak overshoot for this ratio less than 1. For wave frequencies in the region of UJc nearly equal to 1, the exponential growth period had finished and a steady- state level was reached before the data collection had begun.
KeywordsWave Spectrum Ocean Wave Doppler Spectrum Angular Spread Directional Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrick, D. E., and B. J. Lipa (1981): Codar observations of onshore directional ocean wave height spectra in shallow water. IUCRM Symposium on Wave Dynamics and Radio Probing of the Ocean Surface, Miami.Google Scholar
- Hasselmann, K., T. P. Bamett, E. Bouws, H. Carlson, D. E. Cartwright, K. Enke, J. A. Ewing, H. Gienapp, D. E. Hasselmann, P. Kruseman, A. Meerburg, P. Müller, D. J. Gibers, K. Richter, W. Sell, and H. Walden (1973): Measurements of wind-wave growth and swell decay during the Joint North Sea Wave Project (JONSWAP). Dtsch. Hydrogr. Z.Suppl. A 8(12).Google Scholar
- Regier, L. A., and R. E. Davis (1977): Observations of the power and directional spectrum of ocean surface waves. J. Mar. Res. 35, 433–451.Google Scholar
- Snyder, R. L. (1974): A field study of wave induced pressure fluctuations above surface gravity waves. J. Mar. Res. 32, 497–531.Google Scholar
- Trizna, D. B., R. W. Bogle, J. C. Moore, and C. M. Howe (1980a): HRL Report 8386, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory.Google Scholar