Microwave Measurements Over the North Sea
As reported in earlier IUCRM meetings, we investigate radar remote sensing as a tool for the control and study of the Dutch part of the North Sea. This is done in a program which comprises ground- based microwave measurements, and flights with a real-aperture digital SLAR. This program is called Project Noordwijk. We investigate the average (noncoherent) backscatter of the sea as a function of incidence angle, wind speed, and look direction, but also the modulation of the backscatter by sea waves and other phenomena such as: bottom topography, currents, eddies, and oil films. Some results of this program are reported.
KeywordsWind Speed Modulation Transfer Function Grazing Angle Microwave Measurement Decorrelation Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fontanel, A., N. Lannelongue, and D. de Staerke (1979): Etude de Vétat de la mer par utilization des hyperfréquences—Expériences RANO—Mer du Nord. Premier rapport, Institut Francais du Pétrole.Google Scholar
- Fung, R. K., A. K. Fung, G. J. Dome, and I. J. Birrer (1978): Estimates of oceanic wind speed and direction using orthogonal beam scatterometer measurements and comparison of recent scattering theories. NASA Contractor Report 158908, Remote Sensing Laboratory, Kansas University.Google Scholar
- Hoogeboom, P. (1981): Preprocessing of airborne remote sensing data. Proceedings, Ninth Annual Conference of the Remote Sensing Society—Matching remote sensing technologies and their applications, London, Dec. 16–18, 410–417.Google Scholar
- Long, M. W. (1975): Radar Reflectivity of Land and Sea, Lexington Books, Lexington, Mass.Google Scholar
- Sittrop, H. (1976): Characteristics of clutter and targets at X- and Ku-band. Proceedings, AG ARD Symposium—New devices, techniques and systems in radar. The Hague, June 14–17.Google Scholar
- Smith, M. K. (1978): Radar reflectometry in The Netheriands: Measurement system, data handling and some results. Proceedings, Conference on Earth Observation from Space and Management of Planetary Resources, 377–387, ESA Publication ESA-SP 134.Google Scholar
- Van Kuilenburg, J. (1975): Radar observation of controlled oil spills. Proceedings, Xth International Symposium on Remote Sensing of Environment, Ann Arbor, Oct. 6–10, 243–250.Google Scholar