Morphological Aspects of Lymphocyte Mediated Cytotoxicity
In this review I am going to discuss the contact-mediated killing of nucleated mammalian cells by cytotoxic T cells (Tc cells) and antibody-dependent K cells. I wish to suggest that the mechanism of killing by Tc cells and K cells is similar, although a different receptor-ligand interaction is involved in the two types of killing. Tc cells have a specific receptor which reacts with antigen on the target cell while K cells have an Fc receptor reacting with antibody on the surface of the target cell. Because of apparent similarities between NK cells and K cells it is possible that all three classes of lymphoid cell share the same mechanism of killing.
KeywordsTarget Cell Effector Cell Lethal Event Cell Mediate Cytotoxicity Antibody Dependent Cell Mediate Cytotoxicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.Martz, E. Early steps in specific tumor cell lysis by sensitized mouse T lymphocytes. II. Electrolyte permeability increase in the target cell embrane concomittant with programming for lysis. J. Immunol. 117:1023–1027 (1967).Google Scholar
- 20.Shortman, K., and P. Golstein. Target cell recognition by cytolytic T cells: different requirements for the formation of strong conjugates or for proceeding to lysis. J. Immunol. 123:833–839 (1970).Google Scholar
- 36.Lopez, A.F., and C.J. Sanderson. Antibody dependent cell mediated cytotoxocity of nucleated mammalian cells by rat eosinophils and neutrophils. Int. Arch. Allergy Appl. Immunol. In press (1981).Google Scholar
- 42.Russell, J.H., and C.B. Dobos. Mechanisms of immune lysis. II. CTL induced nuclear disintegration of the targt begins within minutes of cell contact. J. Immunol. 124:1256–1261 (1980).Google Scholar
- 44.Zagury, D., Bernard, J., Jeannesson, P., Thiemess, N., and J.-C. Cerottini. Studies on the mechanism of T cell mediated lysis at the single cell level. I. Kinetic analysis of lethal hits and target cell lysis in multicellular conjugates. J. Immunol. 123:1604–1609 (1970).Google Scholar