Lupus Nephritis: Pathogenesis, Course and Management
Lupus nephritis contributes notably to the morbidity and mortality of systemic lupus erythematosus. Improved medical therapies have increased the median survival of patients with lupus to more than 15 years over the past several decades. Uremia was a rare cause of death in the era before steroids, anti-hypertensives and antibiotics. As longevity of patients with lupus improved in the second half of the twentieth century, renal disease became a key factor in the clinical expression and management of this disease. Today, renal involvement is expected in the majority of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
KeywordsSystemic Lupus Erythematosus Nephrotic Syndrome Lupus Nephritis Membranous Nephropathy Proliferative Lupus Nephritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balow JE and Austin HA III: Renal disease in systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatic Dis Clin North Am 14:117–133, 1988Google Scholar
- Churg J and Sobin LH: Lupus nephritis. In, Renal Disease. Tokyo, Igaku-Shoin. 1982, pp 127–149.Google Scholar
- Feutren G, Querin S, Tron F, Noel LH, Chatenoud L, Lesavre P and Bach JF: The effects of cyclosporine in patients with systemic lupus. Transplant Proc 18:643–644, 1986.Google Scholar
- Ginzler EM, Diamond HS, Weiner M, Schlesinger M, Fries JF, Wasner C, Medsger TA, Ziegler G, Klippel JH, Hadler NM, Albert DA, Hess EV, Spencer-Green G, Grayzel A, Worth D, Hahn BH and Barnett EV: A multicenter study of outcome in systemic lupus erythematosus. I. Entry variables as predictors of prognosis. Arthritis Rheum 25:601–611, 1982PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Klippel JH: Morbidity and mortality, pp 89–92. In: Balow JE, moderator. Lupus nephritis. Ann Intern Med 106:79–94, 1987Google Scholar
- Kramer P, Broyer M, Brunner FP, Brynger H, Donckerwolcke RA, Jacobs C, Selwood NH and Wing AJ: Combined report on regular dialysis and transplantation in Europe. XII. Proc Eur Dial Transplant Assoc 19:29–31, 1982Google Scholar
- Madaio MP, Salant DJ, Cohen AJ, Adler S and Couser WG: Comparative study of in situ immune deposit formation in active and passive Heymann nephritis. Kidney Int 23:498- 505, 1983.Google Scholar
- Morel-Maroger L, Mery JP, Droz D, Godin M, Verroust P, Kourilsky O and Richet G: The course of lupus nephritis: contribution of serial renal biopsies. Adv Nephrol 6:79- 118, 1976Google Scholar