Computer Tracking of Endothelial Activation Responses
Endothelial cell responses to stimuli may involve structural, functional or behavioral alterations or a combination of all these.1 Understanding of the role of endothelial cells depends on the ability of investigators to measure these responses. Considerable progress has been made in measuring some, but not all, endothelial responses. Functional responses can usually be quantified by bioassay or by biochemical analysis of endothelial products, enzymes or receptors. Structural responses can be recorded by light and electron microscopy and, to a certain extent, quantification of structural alterations can be achieved by morphometric means. However, analysis of endothelial behavior in terms of migration and division activity has been hampered by existing methods for quantitative assay. Thus, in this paper we have focused on these less well-documented areas. We describe studies that consider methods for measuring endothehal cell behavior.
KeywordsEndothelial Cell Wound Edge Untreated Culture Denude Area Pulmonary Endothelium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U.S. Ryan, Endothelial cell activation responses, in “Pulmonary Endothelium in Health and Disease,” U.S. Ryan, ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.J. Folkman, Angiogenesis and its inhibitors, in “Important Advances in Oncology Part 1,” V.T. Devita Jr., S. Hellman, S.A. Rosenberg eds., J.B. Lippincott, Philadelphia (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.L. Breiman “Probability and Stochastic Processes,” Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts (1967).Google Scholar
- 12.U.S. Ryan, Endothelial cell activation responses, in “Pulmonary Endothelium in Health and Disease,” U.S. Ryan, ed., Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York (1987).Google Scholar
- 15.U.S. Ryan, Phagocytic properties of endothelial cells, in “Endothelial Cells,” U.S. Ryan, ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton (1988).Google Scholar
- 16.U.S. Ryan, P.V. Avdonin, E.Ya. Pozin, E.G. Popov, S.M. Danilov and V.A. Tkachuck, Influence of vasoactive agents on cytoplasmic free calcium concentration in INDO-1 loaded vascular endothelial cells, J. Applied Physiology, in press (1988).Google Scholar
- 17.P. Bregestovski, A. Bakhramov and U. S. Ryan, Effect of platelet activating factor on the membrane of endothelial cells. Circulation Research, submitted (1988).Google Scholar