Restriction Analysis of Cloned Heteropolymeric DNA Synthesized in vitro by TdT
It is known that the enzyme terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase (TdT) catalyses in vitro the polymerization of the four deoxynucleosides triphosphates in a sequence which can be considered largely random. The resulting copolymers can be varied in their composition e.g. by changes in the kind of divalent cation used in the reaction (1). The only experimental data available on the sequence derive from the incorporation of the four precursors and from the enzymatic degradation and nearest neighbor analysis of the product (2,3). None of these approaches yields direct insights on the actual sequence of the polymeric chains synthesized in vitro by TdT.
KeywordsTerminal Deoxynucleotidyl Trans Deoxynucleosides Triphosphate Neighbor Analysis Enzyme Terminal Deoxynucleotidyl Transferase Restriction Site Mapping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.F. J. Bollum, Preparation of oligodeoxynucleotides, in “Procedures in Nucleic Acid Research” (G. Cantoni and D. Davies,eds) pp. 592–599, Harper, New York (1966).Google Scholar
- 3.R. L. Ratliff, A. W. Schwartz, V. N. Kerr, D. L. Williams, D.G. Ott and F.N. Hayes, Heteropolydeoxynucleotides synthesized with Terminal Deoxynucleotidyl Transferase. II Nearest neighbor frequencies and extent of digestion by micrococcal Deoxyribonuclease. Biochemistry, 7:412 (1963).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.S. D. Ehrlich, DNA cloning in Bacillus subtilis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 75: 1433(1978)Google Scholar
- 5.L. Villa-Komaroff, A. Esfradiatis, S. Broome, P. Lomedico, R. Tizard, S. Naber, W. L. Chick and W. Gilbert, A bacterial clone synthetizing proinsulin, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 75:3727(1978).Google Scholar
- 6.R. C. A. Yang, J. Lis and R. Wu, Elution of DNA from agarose gels after electrophoresis, in “Methods in Enzymology”, R. Wu, ed., vol. 68, p. 176, Academic Press, (1979).Google Scholar
- 8.A. M. Maxam and W. Gilbert, Sequencing end-labeled DNA with basespecific chemical cleavage, in “Methods in Enzymology VL. Grossman and K. Moldave,eds, vol. 65, p. 499, Academic press, (1980).Google Scholar