TdT-Positive and TdT-Negative Human Leukemic Cells: Specific Density and Morphology
Peripheral blood cells from 9 E- and 6 E+ SIg- ALL patients and from 11 CML patients in TdT+ blastic crisis were subjected to discontinuous albumin gradient separation according to Dicke’s method, and TdT assayed in the six fractions recovered therefrom. The major results were: (i) in E- ALL and in CML-BC, TdT+ cells could be recovered either within a narrow range of specific densities or were spread over most of the gradient, which might suggest differences in cell maturation among the patients; (ii) in some instances, most leukemic blasts were found in TdT-negative or faintly positive fractions; (iii) in most, but not all, E- ALL and BC, the majority of TdT+ cells was found in low density fractions; (iv) all E+ ALL had high density TdT+ cells. Cell fractions of most patients were also examined at the electron microscope, and correlations between morphology and marker characterization were tentatively drawn.
KeywordsChronic Myeloid Leukemia Blast Cell Terminal Deoxynucleotidyl Transferase Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Patient Blast Crisis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.R. Mertelsmann, I. Mertelsmann, B. Kozimer, M. A. S. Moore, and B. D. Clarkson, Improved biochemical assay for terminal deoxjmucleotidyl transferase in human blood cells: results in 89 adult patients with lymphoid leukemias and malignant lymphomas in leukemic phase. Leukemia Res. 2:57 (1978).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.K. A. Dicke, Radiobiol Inst. TNO, Rijswijk, The Netherland (thesis). (1970).Google Scholar
- 13.M. Greaves and G. Janossy, Patterns of gene expression and the cellular origins of human leukemias. Bioch. Biophys. Acta 516:193 (1978).Google Scholar
- 14.M. A. S. Moore, in: “Advances in Acute Leukemia”, p.160, F. J. Cleton, D. Crowther, and J. S. Malpas eds. North Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam (1975).Google Scholar
- 15.G. Biagini, G. P. Bagnara, M. Baccarani, P. Preda, L. Valvassori, L. Bonsi, M. A. Bruneiii, G. Astaldi, and R. Laschi, Ultrastructure and culture growth of peripheral blood cells from discontinuous albumin density gradient fractions obtained in the blastic phase of chronic granulocytic leukemia. In: Electron Microscopy 1980, vol.2, p.344 (1980).Google Scholar
- 16.M. Baccarani, M. Marini, G. P. Bagnara, M. Gobbi, F. Saviotti, S. Tura, and M. A. Bruneiii, TdT in adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia: relationship with blast cell count. Hematologica (in press).Google Scholar
- 17.M. T. Shaw, J. M. Dwyer, H. S. Allandeen, and H. A. Weitzmann, Terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase activity in B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. J. Am. Soc. Hemat. 51:181 (1978).Google Scholar