Speech, Song, and Emotions
Emotions are of course closely related to the sound of the voice. Mostly, ‘we judge from the voice’ rather well in what state of emotion a speaker is. One and the same sentence can be pronounced in a vast number of different ways, and the way it is pronounced reveals among other things the speaker’s state of emotion. Among phoniatrists, it is a general clinical observation that stress may influence a speaker’s use of his voice, sometimes to the extent that a voice problem develops. As regards singing, the main intonation contour, which we may consider ais sort of ‘macro-intonation’, is decided by the composer. Also, we may assume that it is up to the singer to guide, within the framework of this macrointonation, the listeners’ associations to the state of emotion which the text intends to reflect. The singer may achieve this effect by means of voice characteristics and ‘microintonation’. How do these different emotions manifest themselves in speech and singing?
KeywordsNeutral State Voice Onset Time Emotional Speech Emotional Mode Voice Pitch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clynes, M., 1969, Precision of essentie form in living communication, in: “Information Processing in the Nervous System, K.M. Leibovic, and J.C. Eccles, eds., Springer Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Clynes, M., 1980, Transforming emotionally expressive touch to similarly expressive sound, Proc. Tenth Int. Acoust. Cong., Sydney.Google Scholar
- Crystal, D., 1969, “Prosodie Systems and Intonation in English,” Cambridge Univeristy Press, Cambridge, Eng.Google Scholar
- Fónagy, I., and Magdics, K., 1963, Emotional patterns in intonation and music, Z-f. Phonetik, 16:293–326.Google Scholar
- Kotlyar, G.M., and Morozov, V.P., 1976, Acoustical correlates of the emotional content of vocalized speech, Sov. Phys. Acoust., 22:208–211.Google Scholar
- Scherer, K.R., 1979, Non-linguistic vocal indicators of emotion and psychopathology, In: “Emotions in Personality and Psychopathology,” C.E. Izard, ed.. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Williams, C.E., Stevens, K.N. and Hecker 1969, Aerospace Med., 40:1369–1372.Google Scholar