The Theoretical Effect of DPG Upon Oxygen Diffusion in Erythrocytes
The physiological significance of intra-erythrocyte haemoglobin (Hb)-facilitated oxygen transport (HFOT) has been debated since the observation (Wittenberg 1959; Scholander 1960) that steady-state O2 transfer across a thin layer of solution is accelerated by this heme-bearing protein. An authoritative review has been published by Kreuzer (1970).
KeywordsOxygen Diffusion Authoritative Review Simulated Physiological Condition Deoxygenation Rate Skeletal Muscle Microcirculation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duhm, J. (1975) In ‘Erythrocyte Structure and Function’ (ed. Brewer, G.), A.R. Liss, New York.Google Scholar
- Lightfoot, E.N. (1974) In ‘Transport Phenomena in Living Systems Wiley-Interscience, New York.Google Scholar
- Meldon, J.H., Smith, K.A. and Colton, C.K. (1973) Adv. Exper. Med. Biol. 37a, 199.Google Scholar
- Ulanowicz, R.E. and Frazier, G.C. (1970) Math.Biosei. 7, 11.Google Scholar
- Wittenberg, J.B. (1959) Biol. Bull. 117, 402.Google Scholar