Calculations of Neutron Detector Efficiencies
Several improvements have been made during the last few years to computer calculations of efficiencies for detecting neutrons with hydrocarbon scintillators. The most recent work of Cecil et al. (1979) claims an accuracy of a few percent for a substantial range of neutron energies, detector thresholds, and counter sizes. These improvements include the adoption of new inelastic cross sections and energy and angular distributions for neutron-induced reactions on carbon, adoption of new light-response functions, use of relativistic kinematics, and proper determination of light deposited by escaping charged particles. Although the number of possible nuclear reactions for medium-energy neutrons in a scintillator is large, good agreement of calculations with many different measurements of detector efficiencies up to neutron energies of 300 MeV indicates that the efficiencies may be described adequately by grouping the different reactions into a few channels in the efficiency code.
KeywordsAngular Distribution Efficiency Measurement Neutron Energy Plastic Scintillator Relativistic Kinematic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Betti, G. 1976: and A. Del Guerra, A. Giazotto, M.A. Giorgi, A. Stefanini, D.R. Botterill, D.W. Braben, D. Clarke, and P.R. Norton, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. 135, 319.Google Scholar
- Cecil, R.A. 1979: and B.D. Anderson and R. Madey, accepted for publication in Nucl. Instr. and Meth.Google Scholar
- Czirr, J. 1964: and D.R. Nygren, and C.D. Zafiratos, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. 31, 226.Google Scholar
- Edelstein, R.M. 1972: and J.S. Russ, R.C. Thatcher, M. Elfield, E.L. Miller, N.W. Reay, N.R. Stanton, M.A. Abolins, M.T. Liu, K.W. Edwards, and D.R. Gill, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. 100, 355.Google Scholar
- Janni, J.F. 1966: AFWL-TR-65–150, September.Google Scholar
- Kurz, R.J. 1964: UCRL-1139, March.Google Scholar
- Madey, R. 1978: and F.M. Waterman, A.R. Baldwin, J. Knudson, J.D. Carlson, and J. Rapaport, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. 151, 445.Google Scholar
- McNaughton, M.W. 1974: and F.P. Brady, W.B. Broste, A.L. Sagle, and S.W. Johnson, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. 116, 25.Google Scholar
- McNaughton, M.W. 1975: and N.S.P. King, F.P. Brady., and J.L. Ullman, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. 129, 241.Google Scholar
- Riddle, R.A.J. 1974: and G.H. Harrison, P.G. Roos, and M.J. Saltmarsh, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. 121, 445.Google Scholar
- Stanton, N.R. 1971: COO-1545–92, February.Google Scholar
- Verbinski, V.V. 1968: and W.R. Burrus, T.A. Love, W. Zobel, N.W. Hill, and R. Testor, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. 65, 8.Google Scholar