Eddy Current Problem
Eddy currents are induced in any conducting medium in which the magnetic field varies with time. Thus, eddy currents occur in the stator and rotor cores of electric motors and generators, in transformers, metallic recording heads (used in magnetic recording), and the like. These eddy currents can produce undesirable effects such as power loss, heating, and—in magnetic recording—degradation in performance. We wish to compute these eddy currents in order to predict these problems in advance, before expensive prototypes are built.
KeywordsNode Point Problem Domain Natural Boundary Condition Source Current Density Magnetic Vector Potential
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Preston, T. W., and Reece, A. B. J., “Solution of 3-Dimensional Eddy Current Problems The T-S2 Method,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, March 1982, Vol. MAG-18, No. 2, pp. 486–491.Google Scholar
- 4.McWhinter, J. H., “Numerical Solutions of Eddy Current Problems via Fredholm Equations,” COMPUMAG Conference, Grenoble, France, September 1978, paper 10. 3.Google Scholar
- 5.Carpenter, C. J., and Wyatt, E. A., “Efficiency of Numerical Techniques for Computing Eddy Current in Two and Three Dimensions,” Proceedings COMPUMAG 76, Oxford, 1976, pp. 242–230.Google Scholar
- 6.Carpenter, C. J., “Computation of Magnetic Fields and Eddy Currents,” Fifth International Conference on Magnetic Technology, Rome, April 1975, pp, 147–155.Google Scholar
- 7.Carpenter, C. J., “Comparison of Alternative Formulations of 3-Dimensional Magnetic Field and Eddy-Current Problems at Power Frequencies,” Proc IEE, November 1977, Vol. 124, No. 11, pp. 1026–1034.Google Scholar
- 8.Preston, T. W., and Reece, A. B. J., “Finite Element Solution of Three Dimension Eddy Current Problems in Electrical Machines,” Proceedings COMPUMAG, Grenoble, France, 1978, paper 7. 4.Google Scholar
- 9.Hodder, W. K., and Monson, J. E., “Field Analysis for Magnetic Heads with Eddy Current or Complex Permeability,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, September 1971.Google Scholar
- 10.Steele, C. W., “Convergent Algorithm for Unfounded Two-Dimensional, Linear Eddy Current Problem,” COMPUMAG Conference, Grenoble, France, September 1978.Google Scholar