Direct Photon Production by π-p, π+p and pp Interaction at 280 GeV/c: Results from the WA70 Experiment at CERN
The W70 experiment was proposed in 1980, with the aim to study direct photon events in hadronic interactions. The experimental system consists of the CERN Omega spectrometer to which was added a fine grained electromagnetic calorimeter built for this experiment. The construction of the calorimeter, with its associated trigger electronics and calibration sytems was finished in 1983, the beam and trigger tuning as well as general conditions for data taking were also established in 1983, and data taking with full efficiency begun in 1984.
KeywordsAttenuation Polyethylene Calorimeter Schiff
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).W. Beusch: CERN/SPSC 77–70, SPSC/T-17(1977)Google Scholar
- 4).M. Bonesini et al. “Calibration of an electromagnetic calorimeter for direct photon physics” CERN-EP/87–227 Dec 1987, submitted to Nucl.Inst.Meth.Google Scholar
- 5).M. Bonesini et al. “High pT trigger electronics for a large orthogonal readout electromagnetic calorimeter” CERN-EP/87–200 Nov 1987, submitted to Nucl.Inst.Meth.Google Scholar
- 7).H.U.Bengtsson, G. Ingelman, T.Sjöstrand: The Lund Monte Carlo for high-pt scattering, PYTHIA version 4.1, update of H.U. Bengtsson and G. Ingelman: Comp.Phys.Comm. 34, 251 (1985);Google Scholar
- T.Sjöstrand: Jet fragmentation, JETSET version 6.2, update of T.Sjöstrand: Comp.Phys. Comm. 27, 243, (1982)Google Scholar
- 9).M. Bonesini et al. “Production of high transverse momentum prompt photons and neutral pions in proton-proton interactions at 280 GeV/c” CERN-EP/87–222, Dec 1987, to be published in Z. Phys C.Google Scholar
- 10).Aurenche, R Bayer, A. Douri, M Fontannaz and D. Schiff: Phys.Lett 140B, 87 (1984), and P. Aurenche, R. Bayer, M. Fontannaz, D. Schiff: Nucl. Phys. B286, 509 (1987)Google Scholar
- 12).M. Bonesini et al. High transverse momentum prompt photon production by n-and 7+ on protons at 280 GeV/c CERN-EP/87–185, Oct 1987, to be published in Z. Phys. C.Google Scholar