Einstein, Spinoza, and God
“Einstein and Spinoza” is a tempting theme for a Spinoza scholar and Einstein admirer, as well as for a Spinoza admirer and relativity specialist. In what follows I shall pick out a small part of the many subthemes which today deserve renewed consideration: God, Nature, determinism, and timelessness.
KeywordsCardinal Idea Substantial Word Statistical Quantum Theory Free Creation Passive Aspect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Notes
- 1.P. A. Schilpp, editor, Albeit Einstein: Philosopher-Scientist (Open Court, La Salle, Illinois, 1949), p. 103.Google Scholar
- 2.Arnold Sommerfeld, in Ref. 1, p. 103.Google Scholar
- 3.Translation by Sommerfeld. Quotation from New York Times ,25 April 1929, p. 60, col. 4.Google Scholar
- 4.Quoted by G. J. Holton, in Boston Stud. Phil. Sci. 6, 186 (1970).Google Scholar
- 5.Unended Quest ,revised ed. (Fontana, 1976), p. 129.Google Scholar
- 6.References p. 130.Google Scholar