Vacuum Tunneling in Static Space-Times
This article is respectfully dedicated to the memory of Wolfgang Yourgrau, philosopher and physicist. Wolfgang’s energy and interests were boundless. One of his fields of study was classical general relativity and, although he never worked directly on quantum gravity, he took a keen interest in developments in that area and discussed the subject with me at great length. Wolfgang frequently expressed the view that modern mathematics had much to give to physics and I hope for this reason that he would have approved of the contents of the present paper.
KeywordsVacuum State Cohomology Group Short Exact Sequence Homotopy Class Betti Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
References and Notes
- 2.S. J. Avis and C. J. Isham, “Quantum Field Theory and Fibre Bundles in a General Spacetime,” in Recent Developments in General Relativity ,S. Deser and M. Levy, editors (Plenum New York, 1979).Google Scholar
- 3.C. G. Callan, R. F. Dashen, and D. J. Gross, Phys. Let. 63B, 334 (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.R. M. Switzer, Algebraic Topology—Homotopy and Homology (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1975).Google Scholar
- 7.E. H. Spanier ,Algebraic Topology (McGraw-Hill ,New York, 1966).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Dold, Lectures in Algebraic Topology (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1972).Google Scholar
- 10.R. E. Mosher and M. C. Tangora, Cohomology Operations and Applications in Homotopy Theory (Harper and Row, New York, 1968).Google Scholar
- 12.S. J. Goldberg, Curvature and Homology (Academic Press, New York, 1962).Google Scholar