Peritoneal Dialysis Kinetics — A Pediatric Perspective
Although the technique of peritoneal dialysis is being used with increased frequency in children, relatively few studies dealing with dialysis kinetics, i.e. the movement of solute and water across the peritoneal membrane, have been performed in children and/or the developing animal. The purpose of this presentation is three-fold. Firstly, a few general principles of transperitoneal solute and water movement will be reviewed. Secondly, the available data describing peritoneal dialysis kinetics in children will be reviewed. Thirdly, certain aspects of studies which we have performed in order to increase our knowledge of peritoneal dialysis kinetics in the experimental animal as well as in children will be reviewed.
KeywordsPeritoneal Dialysis Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome Membrane Area Dialysis Fluid Peritoneal Membrane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Henderson, L.W.: Peritoneal dialysis. In: Massry, S.G. and Sellers, A.L. (eds.): Clinical Aspects of Uremia and Dialysis. Springfield, Illinois: Charles C. Thomas, 1976, p. 555.Google Scholar
- 5.Putiloff, P.V.: Materials for the study of the laws of growth of the human body in relation to the surface areas of different systems; the trail on Russian subjects of Planigraphic anatomy as a means for exact anthropometry — one of the problems of anthropology. Report of Dr. P.V. Putiloff at the meeting of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Geographic Society. October 24, 1884[t1] , Omsk, 1886.Google Scholar
- 9.Gruskin, A.B. and Cote, M.L.: Kinetics of peritoneal dialysis in children. Abst. Soc. Ped. Res., 1970, p. 44.Google Scholar
- 10.Gruskin, A.B.: Peritoneal dialysis in acute renal failure: indications and technical considerations. Proc. Int. Congr. Pediatr., Nephrology Issue, Vienna, Aug.-Sept. 1971, p. 261.Google Scholar
- 11.Elzouki, A.Y., Gruskin, A.B., Polinsky, M.S. et al.: Age related changes in peritoneal dialysance. Abst. Ninth Ann. Clin. Dial. & Transplant Forum, Nat. Kid. Found., Nov. 16–19, 1979, p. 37.Google Scholar
- 12.Elzouki, A.Y., Gruskin, A.B., Baluarte, H.J, et al.: Age related changes in peritoneal dialysis kinetics. Abst. Soc. Ped. Res., April, 1980.Google Scholar
- 14.Aane, S.: Transperitoneal exchange: IV. The effect of transperitoneal fluid transport on the transfer of solutes. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 5: 241 /1970.Google Scholar
- 15.Nolph, K.D., Stoltz, M.L. and Maher, J.F.: Altered peritoneal permeability in patients with systemic vasculitis, Ann. Intern, Med. 75: 753, 1971.Google Scholar