Kinetic Energy of Laser Accelerated Charged Particles in a Plasma and the Possibility of Pair Production
An exact solution of the general equation of motion of charged particles in a medium of refractive index n subjected to irradiation of electromagnetic waves at any intensity and frequency is given. No approximations are necessary even for the relativistic case. Linearly polarized as well as circularly polarized waves are considered. Self-induced fields due to the generated charged particle currents have very little influence on the solutions, especially at higher intensities, where electron-positron pair production can be expected.
KeywordsRefractive Index Kinetic Energy Pair Production Laser Field Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J. H. Eberly, in Progress in Optics Vol. VII, Editor: E. Wolf (North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam 1969) pp. 361.Google Scholar
- 11.J. W. Shearer, J. Garrison, J. Wong, and J. E. Swain, in Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena, Editors: H. Schwarz and H. Hora (Plenum Press, New York 1974) Vol. 3B, pp. 803.Google Scholar
- 13.All formulae in this paper are written in such a way that the SI system of units (Système Internationale) can be used which is identical with the rationalized MKSA system.Google Scholar
- 16.see for example: A. N. Matveyev, Principles of Electrodynamics. Translation Editor: L. F. Landovitz (Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York 1966) p. 358.Google Scholar
- 17.see for example: R. E. Kidder in Physics of High Density. Editors: P. Caldirola and H. Knoepfel (Academic Press 1971). Course Number 48.Google Scholar
- 26.E. L. Kane and H. Hora, these Proceedings p. 913.Google Scholar
- 31.H. Hora, in Laser Interaction and Related Plasma Phenomena. Editors: H. Schwarz and H. Hora (Plenum Press, New York 1974) Vol. 3B, pp. 819.Google Scholar
- 32.M. B. Nicholson-Florence, these Proceedings p. 981.Google Scholar
- 35.R. M. Lichtenstein and H. Schwarz, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 19, 676 (1974).Google Scholar