Alcohol Dehydrogenase and Alcohol Tolerance in Drosophila melanogaster
Drosophila melanogaster has often been used as a model system for investigations of the genetic factors that underlie ethanol tolerance. The species not only is very tolerant to environmental ethanol (McKenzie and Parsons, 1972; David et al., 1976), but it is able to use ethanol as a food source (McKechnie and Geer, 1984; Geer et al., 1985). Judgement of the degree of ethanol tolerance in D. melanogaster is complicated by the complex nature of the trait, and by the diversity of the tests that have been used to measure tolerance. Ethanol tolerance is a composite of the abilities to grow and to survive in the presence of ethanol, and, as shown in this study, to utilize dietary ethanol as a foodstuff. The conditions for the tolerance test and the diagnostic traits in previous studies have varied. Many tolerance tests have been performed by adding ethanol to the medium (Gibson, 1970; McDonald et al., 1977; Cavener and Clegg, 1978), but different life stages have been tested. Ethanol tolerance in adult D. melanogaster has been equated to the concentration of alcohol in sealed tubes that kills 50% of the individuals in a treatment of fixed duration (David et al., 1978, 1984).
KeywordsAlcohol Dehydrogenase Ethanol Tolerance Alcohol Tolerance Dietary Ethanol Alcohol Dehydroge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bränden, C. H., Jörnvall, H., Eklund, H., and Fururgen, B., 1975, Alcohol dehydrogenase, in: The Enzymes Vol. XI (P. D. Boyer, ed.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 103–190.Google Scholar
- Cavener, D. R., and Clegg, M. T., 1981, Multigenic response to ethanol in Drosophila melanogaster, Evolution 39:278–293.Google Scholar
- Chambers, G. K., 1988, The Drosophila alcohol dehydrogenase gene-enzyme system, Adv. Genet. 25:40–107.Google Scholar
- Dalziel, K., 1975, Kinetics and mechanism of nicotinamide-nucleotide-linked dehydrogenases, in: The Enzymes Vol. XI (P. D. Boyer, ed.), Academic Press, New York, pp. 2–60.Google Scholar
- Deltombe-Lietaert, M. C., Delcour, J., Lenelle-Monfort, N., and Elens, A., 1979, Ethanol metabolism in Drosophila melanogaster, Experientia 35:579–581.Google Scholar
- Garcin, F. J., Côté, J., Radouco-Thomas, S., Kasienczuk, D., Chawla, S., and Radouco-Thomas, C., 1983, Acetaldehyde oxidation in Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila simulans: Evidence for the presence of an NAD+-dependent dehydrogenase, Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 75B:205–210.Google Scholar
- Geer, B. W., Langevin, M. L., and McKechnie, S. W., 1985, Dietary ethanolGoogle Scholar