The Role of Free Radicals in the Formation of Amorphous Thin Films
A subject of great scientific and technological interest, amorphous materials is intimately connected with the topic of this meeting. This is especially so since one of the preferred methods of making amorphous films for photovoltaic devices utilizes plasmas in which dissociation of gases is associated with dc electric fields or radio frequency excitation. Such creation of plasmas by nonthermal means generates excited states in the gas, ultimately producing different chemical species from that of the ground state molecules. The excited states have a high energy content and, in some cases, a unique electronic distribution, and are thus much more reactive.
KeywordsAmorphous Material Deep Level Transient Spectroscopy Local Order Dangling Bond Silicon Tetrafluoride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.S.R. Ovshinsky, Amorphous Materials as Interactive Systems, in Proc. of the 6th International Conference on Amorphous and Liquid Semiconductors, Leningrad, November 18–24, 1975, pp. 426–436. Also see summary by H. Fritzsche, pp. 65–68.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Guha, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay, India and Energy Conversion Devices, Inc., Troy, MI, private communication.Google Scholar
- 7.H.U. Lee, J. deNeufville and S.R. Ovshinsky, Laser-Induced Fluorescence Detection of Reactive Intermediates in Diffusion Flames and in Glow-Discharge Deposition Reactors, presented at the 10th International Conference on Amorphous and Liquid Semiconductors, Tokyo, August 22–26, 1983, to be published.Google Scholar
- 8.S.R. Ovshinsky, Chemical Modification of Amorphous Chalcogenides, in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Amorphous and Liquid Semiconductors, Edinburgh, Scotland, June 27-July 1, 1977, pp. 519–523.Google Scholar
- 9.S.R. Ovshinsky, Localized States in the Gap of Amorphous Semiconductors, Phys. Rev. Lett. 36, No. 24, (1976) pp. 1469–1472.Google Scholar
- 11.R. Tsu, S.S. Chao, M. Izu, S.R. Ovshinsky, G.J. Jan and F.H. Pollak, The Nature of Intermediate Range Order in Si:F:H:(P) Alloy Systems, presented at the 9th International Conference on Amorphous and Liquid Semiconductors, Grenoble, France July 2–8, 1981. Also published in J. de Physique, Colloque C4, supplement au no. 10, Tome 42, (1981), pp. C4–269-C4–272.Google Scholar
- 12.R.A. Flasck, M. Izu, K. Sapru, T. Anderson, S.R. Ovshinsky and H. Fritzsche, Optical and Electronic Properties of Modified Amorphous Materials, in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Amorphous and Liquid Semiconductors, Edinburgh, Scotland, June 27-July 1, 1977, pp. 524–528.Google Scholar
- 13.S.R. Ovshinsky, The Chemical Basis of Amorphicity—Structure and Function, RevueGoogle Scholar
- Roumaine de Physique 26, Nos. 8–9 (1981) pp. 893–903. (Grigorovici Festschrift.)Google Scholar