Part of the Ettore Majorana International Science Series book series (EMISS, volume 17)
On the Measurement of the Antineutron Mass
Among the various proposals accepted at the LEAR machine, one of them deals with the antineutron (n̄) production and with the related n̄ physics1. There are scarce experimental data on this subject and even the n̄ mass (Mn̄) was not yet directly measured, due to the lack of suitable beams. We have then studied how to perform a measurement of Mn̄ with a precision of some 10–6 with a dedicated apparatus by means of a kinematical reconstruction of the charge-exchange reaction:
induced by low-energy antiprotons (p̄). We recall that the threshold of the reaction (1) is at 5.103 MeV (98 MeV/c).
$$ \overline p + p \to \overline n + n $$
KeywordsKinematical Reconstruction Multiple Coulomb Scattering Thin Metal Plate Streamer Chamber Expect Counting Rate
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Bisello, F. Gasparini, S. Limentani, A. Meneguzzo, P. Sartori, and C. Voci, Proposal CERN/PSCC/80–91/P23 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.Particle Data Group, Report LBL-58 (1972).Google Scholar
- 4.C. Voci, in “Proc.Int.School of Intermediate Energy Nuclear Physics”, Verona, 16–26 July 1980, in press.Google Scholar
- 6.U. Gastaldi, private communication.Google Scholar
- 7.F. Balestra, G. Bendiscioli, M.P. Bussa, L. Busso, I.V. Falomkin, L. Ferrero, R. Garfagnini, C. Guaraldo, A.A. Karlov, E. Lodi Rizzini, A. Maggiora, C. Marciano, C. Milani, A. Piazzoli, G. Piragino, G.B. Pontecorvo, A. Rotondi, R. Scrimaglio, Yu.A. Shcherbakov, M. Vascon, A. Venaglioni, G. Zanella, and A. Zanini, Proposal CERN/PSCC/80–78/P17 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.Cagliari-Strasbourg-Torino collaboration, private communication.Google Scholar
© Plenum Press, New York 1984