Co-Rotating Beams of Antiprotons and H- in LEAR and High Resolution Spectroscopy of pp̄ Atoms in Flight
Beams of pp̄ atoms flighting in vacuum with adjustable velocity have been proposed to study the spectroscopy of protonium atoms with high energy resolution (Ae/E down to 10-5) by using differential absorber foils and conventional X-ray detectors for emission spectroscopy and fixed frequency high power radiation sources for induced spectroscopy1. This aproach would lead to an improvement by more than two orders of magnitude versus the possibilities of “conventional” experiments in the field of protonium planned at LEAR2, and would give ways to measure with high accuracy effects of electromagnetic and strong interactions on the atomic levels of protonium.
KeywordsAtomic Beam Straight Section Electron Cool High Energy Resolution Exotic Atom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U. Gastaldi, in Exotic Atoms, Proc. 1st Int. School on Physics of Exotic Atoms, Erice, 1977 (eds. G. Fiorentini and G. Torelli) (Servizio Documentazione dei Laboratori di Frascati, Rome 1977) p.205.Google Scholar
- 2.See reports in these Proceedings on LEAR experiments PS171, PS174 and PS175.Google Scholar
- 3.U. Gastaldi, CERN pp̄-Note 30 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.U. Gastaldi, in Proc. 4th European Antiproton Conf., Barr-Strasbourg, France 1978 (Editions du CNRS, Paris 1979) (ed. A. Friedman) Vol 2, p. 607.Google Scholar
- 5.Design Study of a facility for experiments with low energy antiprotons, CERN/PS/DL 80–7 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.P. Lefèvre, Construction of the LEAR facility: status report, in these Proceedings.Google Scholar
- 8.U. Gastaldi, E. Iacopini and R. Landua, CERN p̄ LEAR-Note 21 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.U. Gastaldi, CERN pp̄ Note 32 (1977).Google Scholar
- 11b.See also C. Hovjat, M. Jay, R.C. Weber, Stripping foils for charge exchange injection, IEEE Transact. NS-26 3/49 (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.G. Fiorentini and R. Tripiccione, H- stripping in collisions with low energy p̄ and H-, Pisa preprint IFUP-TH-16/82 (1982).Google Scholar
- 13.H. Massey, Negative ions, Cambridge University Press (1976).Google Scholar