High-Energy Electron Cooling at Lear pp̄-Collider
A low energy pp̄-colliding beam facility was proposed some time ago.1 The pp̄-collision option was presented in the “Design study of a facility for...,”2 where LEAR is conceived as a minicollider; this facility covers a center-of-mass energy range from 2.3 to 4.4 GeV. From the minicollider scheme, we can see that the evaluated luminosity is not sufficient to perform the whole physics program proposed.1 An efficient method of increasing the luminosity consists of cooling both pp̄ beams continuously with a high-energy electron cooling device,3 working in the wide momentum range foreseen for the collider mode.
KeywordsElectron Cool Space Charge Effect Axial Magnetic Field Drift Region Collider Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Dalpiaz, Electromagnetic Annihilation in Low Energy pp̄-Colliding Beams, CERN pp̄ note 06 (1 May 1977).Google Scholar
- 1a.P. Dalpiaz et al., IV European Antiproton Symposium, ed. Fridman, Ed. du CNRS (1978), 689–693, Vol. II.Google Scholar
- 1b.P. Dalpiaz, Proceedings of the Joint CERN-KfK Workshop on Physics with Cooled Low Energetic Antiprotons, Karlsruhe, March 19–21 (1979), 111, ed. H. Poth.Google Scholar
- 2.Design Study of a Facility for Experiments with Low Energy Antiprotons (LEAR), ed. G. Plass, CERN PS/DL 80–7.Google Scholar
- 3.U. Bizzarri, M. Conte, and L. Tecchio, THAO Proceedings of the 5th European Symposium on Nucleon-Antinucleon Interactions, Bressanone (1980), 19–26, Ed. INFN Padova.Google Scholar
- 4.U. Bizzarri et al., High Energy Electron Cooling at LEAR, Submitted to Il Nuovo Cimento.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Bell et al., Proceedings of the Joint CERN-KfK Workshop on Physics with Cooled Low Energetic Antiprotons, Karlsruhe, March 19–21 (1979), 43, ed. H. Poth.Google Scholar
- 5a.G.I. Budker et al., Study on electron cooling of...., Yellow Report, CERN 77–08.Google Scholar
- 5b.W. Kells et al., 11th Internat. Conf. on High Energy Accelerators Geneva, Switzerland, July 7–11 (1980), ed. W.S. Newman, CERN, pg. 814.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Rubbia, Microwave radiation from the transverse temperature...., CERN EP Internal Report 77–4 (1977).Google Scholar
- 7.U. Bizzarri et al., Electron Cooling Device at 500 KeV with a Cockcroft-Walton generator, Frascati LNF 81/30, 1 June 1981.Google Scholar