Phase-Space Cooling Techniques and Their Combination in Lear
The two cooling methods1-7 and their application in LEAR8-10 have been discussed in various papers. My aim here will be to try, once again, an elementary description of the principles and to emphasize on the complementary of stochastic and electron cooling. If I can pass on to you some feeling of why these methods supplement each other very nicely and how their combination in LEAR will open unique possibilities… then I have not re-prepared this talk in vain.
KeywordsTest Particle Storage Ring Velocity Spread Electron Cool Coherent Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.I. Budker, Atomnaya Energiya (Sov. J. of Atom. Energy) 22 p. 346 (1967); see also in: International Symposium on Electron and Positron Storage Rings, Saclay 1966.Google Scholar
- 2.S. van der Meer, Stochastic damping of betatron oscillations, CERN Int. Report ISR-PO/72–31 (1972).Google Scholar
- 4.G.I. Budker et al., Studies on electron cooling… CERN Report 77–08.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Sacherer, Stochastic cooling theory, CERN Int. Report ISR/TH-78–11 (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.D. Möhl, Possibilities and limits with cooling in LEAR, in Proc. CERN-KfK-Workshop on Physics with cooled low energy antiprotons (H. Poth editor), KfK report 2836 (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Haseroth, C. Hill, P. Møller-Petersen, H. Poth, On the use of the ICE gun for electron cooling in LEAR, CERN Int. Report PS/DL/LEAR Note 80–7 (pp LEAR Note 83) (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.Design study of a facility for experiments with low energy antiprotons (LEAR) (G. Plass editor), CERN Int. Report PS/DL/80–7 (1980); see also P. Lefèvre et al., in Proc. 1980 Intern. Accel. Conf. (Geneva), p. 819 (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.H.G. Hereward, in: International Symposium on Electron and Positron Storage Rings, Saclay 1966.Google Scholar
- 12.U. Bizarri et al., This Conference.Google Scholar
- 13.H. Haseroth et al., This Conference.Google Scholar
- 14.H. Sørrensen, This Conference.Google Scholar