The Cyclotron Trap: Status of Preparation and Planned Experiments (PS 175)
It is the aim of our proposal to measure X-rays of antiprotonic hydrogen and deuterium atoms formed in gaseous targets in a cyclotron trap with pressures well below 10 Torr1. At these pressures the collisional Stark-effect is assumed to play a minor role only in the atomic cascade so that the measurement of the Lyman X-rays will become feasible2. The X-rays will be measured with high-resolution semiconductor detectors and gas scintillation detectors. It is proposed to deduce shifts and widths of the 2p level from an intensity measurement of the Balmer series. It is further planned to study the atomic cascade as a function of gas pressure.
KeywordsSemiconductor Detector Muon Beam Balmer Series Equilibrium Orbit Atomic Cascade
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.LEAR proposal PS 175.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Borie, TKP 79–20, Inst. f. Theoretische Kernphysik der Univerität Karlsruhe.Google Scholar
- 3.W. Joho and G. Rudolf, private communication.Google Scholar
- 6.G. F. Knoll, Radiation and Measurement.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Böcklin et. al., NIM 176, 105 (1980).Google Scholar