The Subarachnoid Fluid Space in Achondroplastic Spinal Stenosis: The Surgical Implication
The tragic outcome of decompressive laminectomy in patients with achondroplastic spinal stenosis has been reported (1, 2, 3, 4). Our experience at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions supports the observations in the literature. The poor outcome is caused mainly by the extremely stenotic canal, which makes adequate decompression difficult (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11). Furthermore, the degree and extent of the spinal stenosis were frequently not clearly delineated by conventional myelography. However, intrathecal enhanced CT provides not only superb bony detail but also delineation of the soft-tissue content of the spinal canal (12). The relationships between the spinal cord and its surrounding subarachnoid space are also well demonstrated. This paper reports the depth of the subarachnoid fluid space surrounding the spinal cord at the cervical and thoracic levels, measured from the intrathecal enhanced axial CT images of 11 adult achondroplastic patients. It describes a modified decompressive laminectomy technique devised by the authors (S.U.) that has been applied in over 20 cases of achondroplastic spinal stenosis. It has helped to prevent the infliction of undue trauma on the neural tissue during the surgical manoeuvers.
KeywordsSpinal Canal Facet Joint Spinal Stenosis Paraspinal Muscle Axial Computerize Tomography Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Roberts, J. C. Collins, N. H. Gahm, R. H. Dunsmore and B. A. Whitcomb, The treatment of spinal stenosis associated with achondroplasia, Paper presented at the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Atlanta GA, Oct. 21, 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Wyne-Davies, W. K. Walsh and J. Gormley, Achondroplasia and hypoachondroplasia. Clinical variation and spinal stenosis, J. Bone Joint Surg. 63-B(4):508 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Verbiest, A radicular syndrome from developmental joint narrowing of the lumbar vertebral canal, J. Bone Joint Surg. 36B:230 (1954).Google Scholar
- 7.E. Streeten, S. Uematsu, O. Hurko, S. Kopits, E. Murphy and R. Pyeritz, Extended laminectomy for spinal stenosis in achondroplasia, in Proceedings, First International Congress on Achondro- plasia (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.L. Nordqvist, The sagittal diameter of the spinal cord and subarachnoid space in different age groups. A roentgenographic post-mortem study. Acta Radiol. (Suppl.) (Stockh.) 227:1 (1964).Google Scholar