An X-Ray Fluorescent Method for the Determination of Copper in Silver-Copper Alloys
An X-ray method for the production control of silver in silver-copper alloys is described. The silver is determined by difference using the CuK αline (1.54 A). The preparation of standards and the procedure for sampling production melts are discussed. Specimen surfaces are prepared by a lapping machine technique which is highly reproducible and minimizes required operator skills. An external standard technique is utilized to derive calibration curves for copper ranging to 12%. The accuracy of the method expressed as standard deviation was found to be 0.035% silver for the sterling silver alloy.
KeywordsSterling Silver External Standard Technique Lapping Machine Intensity Intensity Intensity Engelhard Industry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. J. Cullen, “X-Ray Spectrometric Analysis of Alloyed Copper,” in: J. E. Forrette and E. Lanterman(eds.), Developments in Applied Spectroscopy, Vol. 3, Plenum Press, New York (1964), p. 97.Google Scholar
- 2.N. H. Furman, in: W. W. Scott, Standard Methods of Chemical Analysis, Vol. 1, 6th ed., D. Van Nostrand, Co., Inc., Princeton, N.J. (1962), pp. 979–980.Google Scholar
- 3.Ibid., pp. 398, 399, 404.Google Scholar
- 4.Ibid., pp. 984_990.Google Scholar
- 5.Ibid., pp. 982_983Google Scholar
- 6.Ibid., pp. 404–406.Google Scholar
- 7.Ibid., pp. 980_982.Google Scholar
- 8.Ibid., pp. 402_403, 406–410.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Goto, S. Ikeda, and E. Sudo, Sci. Rept. Res. Inst., Tokohu Univ. Ser, A 11: 451 (1959).Google Scholar
- 11.H. A. Liebhafsky, H. G. Pfeiffer, E. H. Winslow, and P. B. Zemany, X-ray Absorption and Emission in Analytical Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York (1960), p. 220.Google Scholar
- 12.H. A. Liebhafsky, E. H. Winslow, and H. G. Pfeiffer, Anal. Chem. 34: 282R (1962).Google Scholar