Gas Chromatographic Analysis of Alpha-Hydroxy Carboxylic Acids
Dilute solutions of alpha-hydroxy acids in water can be analyzed by oxidation of the acids with periodic acid in the chromatograph. The quantity of aldehyde or ketone produced in oxidation is measured. When a Carbowax 20M-on-firebrick column is used, acid concentration is proportional to aldehyde or ketone peak height.
KeywordsPeak Height Periodic Acid Methyl Ethyl Ketone Hydroxy Acid Mandelic Acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. Siggia, Quantitative Organic Analysis via Functional Groups, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York (1949), p. 8.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Fleury and R. Boisson, J. Pharm. Chim. 30, 145 (1939).Google Scholar
- 4.P. Fleury and J. Courtois, Bull. soc. chim. France, 190 (1948).Google Scholar
- 5.D.B. Spoison and E. Chargoff, J. Biol. Chem. 164, 433 (1946).Google Scholar
- N. E. Hoffman, unpublished results.Google Scholar
- 8.P. A. Levenne and H. L. Haller, J. Biol. Chem. 77, 55 (1928).Google Scholar
- 9.W.M. Latimer and J.H. Hildebrand, Reference Book of Inorganic Chemistry, The Macmillan Co., New York (1940), p. 177.Google Scholar