Additivity Rule in the Contributions of the Bond Energies to the Melting Points of Covalent Semiconductors
An additivity rule is formulated for diamond-type semiconductors. According to this rule, the energies of individual bonds in covalent crystals make additive contributions to the melting point. The application of this rule makes it possible to calculate the melting points of binary crystals with similar chemical bonding. It is shown that the validity of the additivity rule is basically related to the short-range nature of the covalent forces. A quantitative agreement is obtained between the thermodynamic data and the proposed chemical bonding schemes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.L. S. Palatnik, V. M. Koshkin, and Yu. F. Komnik, in: Chemical Bonds in Semiconductors and Solids (ed. by N. N. Sirota),, Consultants Bureau, New York (1967), p. 235.Google Scholar
- 3.L. S. Palatnik, V. M. Koshkin, and Yu. F. Komnik, Kristallografiya, 7 (1): 124 (1962).Google Scholar
- 4.G. B. Bokii, Crystal Chemistry [in Russian], MGU ( Moscow State University ), Moscow (1960), p. 302.Google Scholar
- 5.N. A. Goryunova, The Chemistry of Diamond-like Semiconductors, Chapman and Hall, London (1965).Google Scholar
- 6.L. S. Palatnik, V. M. Koshkin, and L. P. Gal’chinetskii, Fiz. Tverd. Tela, 4: 2365 (1962).Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Koshkin, Yu. F. Komnik, and S. D. Orlova, in: Chemical Bonds in Semiconductors and Solids (ed. by N. N. Sirota ), Consultants Bureau, New York (1967), p. 239.Google Scholar
- 8.V. M. Koshkin, Ukr. Fiz. Zh., 9: 973 (1964).Google Scholar
- 9.L. A. Sysoev, É. K. Raiskin, and V. R. Gur’ev, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater., 3: 390 (1967).Google Scholar
- 10.A. A. Vaipolin, É. O. Osmanov, and D. N. Tret’yakov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater., 3: 260 (1967).Google Scholar
- 11.L. S. Palatnik, Yu. F. Komnik, E. K. Belova, and L. V. Atroshchenko, Kristallografiya, 6: 960 (1961).Google Scholar