Temperature Dependence of Magnetization in U3P4 and U3As4 Single Crystals
The uranium pnictides which crystallize in the Th3P4 structure show various interesting properties and have attracted much attentionl,2,3. Recently it was revealed by neutron diffraction that the ordered ferromagnetic structure is described by a canted structure in which the moment on each sublattice, with the uniaxial axis along one of the  axes, cants from the uniaxial direction by about 35 degrees to the  direction4. Furthermore, the net moment on each sublattice is substantially smaller than the saturation moment expected from the atomic tetravalent U atom5. This structure usually gives a fairly large induced additional moment with the magnetic field along . However, the results reported so far usually give very small values, even though their values are scattered. Because we could prepare good single crystals of U3P4 and U3As4, we checked this point by careful measurements under high magnetic fields. Next, we measured the temperature dependence of the magnetization at low temperatures, expecting it would be very small because of the structure anticipated from the weak induced moment. The results obtained will be shown in the following, and possible models are discussed.
KeywordsZeeman Energy Saturation Moment Spin Wave Mode Spin Wave Spectrum Magnon Dispersion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Trzebiatowski, R. Troc, Bull.Acad.Polon.Sci.ser.Sci.chim. 11, 661 (1963).Google Scholar
- 2.W. Trzebiatowski, A. Sepichowska and A. Zygmunt, Bull. Acad. Polon. Sci. Ser. Sci. Chim. 12, 687 (1964).Google Scholar
- 3.K.P. Belov, Z. Henkie, A.S. Dmitrievskii, R.Z. Levitin and W. Trzebiatowski, Zh. eksper. teor. Fiz. 61, 1522 (1971).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Troc, J. Sznajd, P. Novotny and T. Mydlarz, to be published.Google Scholar
- 6.Z. Henkie, Roczniki Chemii, 42, 363 (1968).Google Scholar
- 8.P.J. Markowskii, T. Sakakibara, S. Kunii, T. Suzuki, M. Date and T. Kasuya, to be published.Google Scholar
- 10.K. Takegahara, A. Yanase and T. Kasuya, this conference.Google Scholar