Low Temperature Magnetic Phase Transitions of CeBi and CeSb Studied by Magnetoelastics
Among the cerium monopnictides, all of which show different magnectic character1, CeBi and CeSb exhibit extremely unusual magnetic properties2. Tetragonal distortions take place in both materials at the Néel temperature3, below which the alignments of all sub-lattice magnetic moments hold fast to the  direction through the many successive magnetically ordered phases induced by external magnetic fields. In both compounds, the effective crystalline field is unusually small compared with other cerium monopnictides. Nevertheless, CeBi and CeSb show strong magnetic anisotropies favoring the  direction4,5. Recently we proposed a model based on the anisotropic p-f mixing mechanisms and obtained a better understanding of the common salient features observed in both compounds6.
KeywordsMagnetic Phase Transition Tetragonal Distortion Temperature Phase Transition Negative Thermal Expansion Domain Rotation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F.Hulliger, in:“Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths,” K.A.Gschneidner,Jr. and L.Eyring, eds., North-Holland, Amsterdam (1979)Google Scholar
- 2.J.Rossat-Mignod, P.Burlet, S.Quezel and 0.Vogt, Physica 102B, 237 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.K.Takegahara, A.Yanase and T.Kasuya, J.de Phys. 41,C5–327 (1980)Google Scholar
- Erratum ibid 41,1231 (1980).Google Scholar
- T.Kasuya, K.Takegahara, M.Kasaya, Y.Ishikawa, H.Takahashi, T.Sakakibara and M.Date, in:“Physics in High Magnetic Fields,” S.Chikazumi and N.Miura, eds., Springer, Berlin (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.T.Suzuki, M.Sera, H.Shida, K.Takegahara, H.Takahashi, A.Yanase and T.Kasuya, in:“Valence Fluctuations in Solids,” L.M.Falicov, W.Hanke and M.B.Maple, eds., North-Holland, Amsterdam (1981).Google Scholar
- 8.B.Llthi,,P.S.Wang and E.Bucher, in:“Conference on Crystalline Electric Field Effects in Metals and Alloys,” Université de Montreal, 1974.Google Scholar
- 9.H.Bartholin, P.Burlet, S.Quezel, J.Rossat-Mignod and O.Vogt, J.de Phys. 40, C5–130 (1979).Google Scholar
- 10.K.Takegahara, H.Takahashi, A.Yanase and T.Kasuya, to be published in this proceedings.Google Scholar