Magnetostriction in Dilute Alloys of Rare Earths
A number of results have been obtained recently on the magneto-striction and thermal expansion of dilute alloys of rare earths in non-magnetic hosts. This data, together with EPR work on strained dilute alloy samples, can be analyzed to obtain the rare earth ion lattice strain coupling parameters and the volume dependence of the crystal fields. The results give a considerable amount of information on the interactions between an ion and its environment to supplement the standard crystal field values. Interesting comparisons can be made with magnetostriction in concentrated magnetic systems, and with data on dilute rare earths in insulators.
KeywordsRare Earth Crystal Field Crystal Field Parameter Point Charge Model Solid State Comm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.See, e.g., M. Blume and R. Orbach, Phys. Rev. 127, 1587 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.I.A. Campbell, G. Creuzet and J. Sanchez, Phys. Rev. Letters 43, 234 (1979). G. Creuzet and I.A. Campbell, Phys. Rev. B23, 3375 (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.See, e.g., for AgRE, D. Arbilly, G. Deutscher, E. Grunbaum, R. Orbach and J.T. Suss, Phys. Rev. B12, 5068 (1975); G.E. Barberis, J.F. Suassuna, C. Rettori and C.A. Pela, Solid State Comm. 23, 603 (1977); C.A. Pela, G.E. Barberis, J.F. Suassuna and C. Rettori, Phys. Rev. B21, 34 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.See, e.g., for AuRE, F.G. Gandra, C.A. Pela, G.E. Barberis, D.Davidov and C. Rettori, J. Magn. Magn. Mat. 15–18, 1112 (1980); J.F. Suassuna, G.E. Barberis, C. Rettori and C.A. Pela, Solid State Comm. 22, 347 (1977); C.A. Pela, J.F. Suassuna, G. E. Barberis and C. Rettori, Phys. Rev. B23, 3149 (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.P.J.W. Kikkert and B. Niesen, Phys. Rev. B23, 2126 (1981); P.J.W. Kikkert, P..D. Thesis (Groningen 1980 ) (unpublished).Google Scholar
- 9.P. Morin and D. Schmitt, Phys. Rev. B23, 2278 (1981) and references therein.Google Scholar
- 10.A.E. Clark, in “Ferromagnetic Materials, Vol. 1”, edited by E.P. Wohlfarth, North Holland (1980).Google Scholar
- 11.J. Rhyne and S. Legvold, Phys. Rev. 138, A507 (1965); A.E. Clark, B. de Savage and R. Bozorth, Phys. Rev. 138, A216 “(1965).Google Scholar
- 12.M.H. de Jong, J. Bijvoet and P.F. de Châtel, this conference.Google Scholar
- 13.P. Pureur, G. Creuzet and A. Fert, this conference.Google Scholar