Crystal Field Effects on the ESR Spectra of Rare Earths in CePd3
Crystal field effects on the J-multiplet ground state of rare earths (RE) in the mixed valent host of CePd3 have been investigated recently by neutron scattering1, ESR2,3 and susceptibility4 experiments. However it seems to be difficult to obtain the level scheme for the various non-S state RE ions in CePd3 from the neutron and susceptibility4 data. Since the ESR spectra give a clear identification of the low lying crystal field levels we performed ESR experiments at low temperatures in the limit of very diluted Dy, Er and Yb in polycrystalline samples of CePd3.
KeywordsCrystal Field Crystal Field Parameter Rare Earth Crystal Field Effect Inelastic Peak
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Gambke and B. Elschner, J. Physique C5 40, 331 (1979).Google Scholar
- 3.J.P. Donoso, F.G. Gandra, C. Rettori, E. Weber and G.E. Barberis, Verh. DPG (VI) 16, 313 (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.H.W. Ludwigs, Dissertation, Köln 1981. H. Borchardt, R.F. Hoyt, A.C. Mota and D. Wohlleben, Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Low Temperature Physics, Los Angeles, USA, 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.L.L. Hirst, Phys. Rev. 181, 597 (1969); D. D.vidov, C. Rettori, A. Dixon, K. Baberschke, E.P. Chock and R. Orbach, Phys. Rev. B8, 3563 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.H.W.M. van der Linden, G.J. Nieuwenhuys, H.D. Dokter, D. Davidov and I. Feiner, J. Magn. Magn. Mat. 15 — 18, 42 (1980).Google Scholar
- 8.U. Walter, diploma thesis, Köln (1980).Google Scholar