Crystal Fields and Conduction Electron Effects in Intermetallic Compounds and Alloys
This paper is intended to continue the work on “neutron studies of CEF excitations and linewidths of dilute systems” presented at the preceding conference on CEFSE in Philadelphia,1979.1 Here, however, we restrict ourselves to a more detailed description of inelastic neutron scattering experiments performed on Er and Tm ions diluted in the cubic Laves-phase compounds RAl2 with R=Sc,Y, and La. A large number of publications already exists for these systems, including all kinds of macroscopic measurements (susceptibility, magnetization, specific heat, etc.) and microscopic measurements (ESR, neutron scattering, etc.). The interpretation of the data yielded a great but inconsistent variety of CF parameters for the different systems. This (mis-)led several authors to speculate about a drastic dependence of the CF parameters on concentration and diluent matrix2. Our experiments as presented in this paper are at variance to this speculation and yield a consistent set of CF parameters for both Er and Tm ions in RAl2 diluent matrices, including the full compounds.
KeywordsIntermetallic Compound Inelastic Neutron Experimental Resolution Magnetic Scattering Crystal Field Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Loewenhaupt in “Crystalline Electric Field and Structural Effects in f-Electron Systems” edited by J.E. Crow, R.P. Guertin, T.W. Mihalisin ( Plenum, New York, 1980 ) p. 589Google Scholar
- 2.B. Barbara, M.F. Rossignol, R.A.B. Devine, Y. Berthier and A.P. Murani in same as Ref. 1 p. 481.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Becker, P. Fulde, J. Keller, Z. Phys. B28, 9 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Keller, this conferenceGoogle Scholar
- 6.S. Horn, M. Loewenhaupt, unpublishedGoogle Scholar
- 8.U. Walter, E. Holland-Moritz to appear in Z. Phys..Google Scholar