Mapping of Cholinergic Systems in Rostral Forebrain of the Rodent
Visualization of central cholinergic system has been hampered by technical difficulties. No suitable method is. yet available for the visualization of acetylcholine (ACh). The conventional histochemistry for acetylcholinesterase (AChE), as discussed in another chapter (9), is not a reliable marker for cholinergic neurons. Although the modified histochemistry for AChE has provided useful information (10) it is still not definitive for cholinergic perikarya nor applicable to the visualization of fibers and terminals. Several attempts have been made to visualize choline acetyltransferase (CAT), a specific marker enzyme for cholinergic systems in the CNS. A proposed histochemical method is not completely specific, since it is based on the precipitation of CaA which is produced not only by CAT but by several enzymes (2).
KeywordsOlfactory Bulb Cholinergic Neuron Medial Septum Medial Forebrain Bundle Diagonal Band
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Gabriel, A.M., Ragsdale, C.W. and Edley, S.M. (1979): Exp. Brain Res. 34:189.Google Scholar
- 8.Kimura, H., McGeer, E.G., McGeer, P.L. and Peng, J.H. (1979): Proc. Sco. Neurosci. 5:240.Google Scholar
- 9.Lehmann, J. and Fiberger, H.C. (1980): This Volume.Google Scholar
- 10.Lehmann, J., Fibiger, H.C. and Butcher, L.L. (1979): Neuro-science 4:217–225.Google Scholar
- 11.McGeer, P.L. and McGeer, E.G. (1979); In Nutrition and the Brain (eds) A. Barbeau, Growdon and R.J. Wurtman, Raven Press, New York, pp.177–195.Google Scholar
- 15.Ross, C.D., Godfrey, D.A., Williams, A.D. and Matschinsky, F. M. (1978): Proc. Soc. Neurosci.4:264.Google Scholar
- 17.William, M., Youngs, N., Nadi, S., Davis, B.J., Margolis, F.L. and Macrides, F. (1979); Proc. Soc. Neurosci. 5:436.Google Scholar