Lesions of the Globus Pallidus: Changes in Cortical Choline Acetyltransferase, Choline Uptake and Acetylcholine Output in the Rat
The presence of acetylcholine (ACh) (16), choline acetyltransferase (CAT) (6), the histochemical visualization of acetyl-cholinesterase-rich fibers (17), and the output of ACh from the cortical surface, demonstrate the existence of a dense cholinergic network in the cerebral cortex of all animal species so far investigated. However, the origin of this cortical cholinergic network is still mostly unknown. According to McGeer (10), it could be partly formed by intrinsic cholinergic neurons. The destruction of the septum in the rat is followed by approximately 40% decrease in ACh content of (15) and by a similar decrease in spontaneous ACh output from the cerebral cortex (1). These findings suggest that part of the cortical cholinergic network is formed by fibers originating from or passing through the septum.
KeywordsCerebral Cortex Cholinergic Neuron Globus Pallidus Septal Lesion Choline Uptake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Koenig, J.F. and Klippel, R. (1963): The Rat Brain; A Stereotaxic Atlas, William and Wilkins, Baltimore.Google Scholar
- 6.Kuhar, M.J. (1976): In Biology of Cholinergic Function (eds) A.M. Goldberg and I. Hanin, Raven Press, New York, pp. 3–27.Google Scholar
- 7.Kuhar, M.J. (1977): In Cholinergic Mechanisms and Psycho-pharmacology (ed) D.J. Jenden, Plenum Press, New York, pp. 447–456.Google Scholar
- 9.Lowry, O.M., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.L. and Randall, R.J. (1951): Biol. Chem. 193:265–275.Google Scholar
- 10.McGeer, P.L. and McGeer, E.G. (1979): In Nutrition and the Brain, Vol. 5 (eds) A. Barbeau, J.H. Growden and R. J. Wurtman, Raven Press, New York, pp. 177–199.Google Scholar
- 16.Saèlens, J.K. and Simke, J.P. (1976): In Biology of Cholinergic Function (eds) A.M. Goldberg and I. Hanin, Raven Press, New York, pp. 661–706.Google Scholar
- 17.Silver, A. (1974): The Biology of Cholinesterases, North Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- 20.Tucek, S. (1978): Acetylcholine Synthesis in Neurons, Chapman and Hall, London.Google Scholar